Interesting reading study

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht
frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we
do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

I gseus, bcusae I was albe to raed waht you wtroe fnie, but wtih a salml aunmot of sdolwown.

Isn’t this old news, though? I thought that this had been proven a long time ago. I’d always assumed it was true.

It’s news to me.

I wonder if it works for contractions.

Like, wouldn’t - the n’t and location of the apostrophe in particular seems very important.

There, their, they’re, theyre’!!

That’s true to an extent, but the exceptions to the rule are…

#1: If a word isn’t in your vocabulary you aren’t going to rearrange it correctly, and then you can’t look it up in a dictionary since you don’t know the spelling.

#2: A word where you can rearrange the letters and make another word may cause confusion when read, depending on context. For example… The birthday present I received was tron. Is that tron the game or torn the ripped package?

#3: This doesn’t work nearly as well for long words. For example… I had promoted iaspldtbnauuie evidence for his good sense of humor.

#3a: This doesn’t work nearly as well for words where you group the vowels together and the consonants together. See above.

#4: This doesn’t work nearly as well when the context is not understood. Craeetble the msseas.

But yes, as lnog as the wsnsaeeeks of tihs are ureoondtsd, its a pclteefry vliad oaoitesrbvn.

There, their, they’re, theyre’!!

Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for Mr. Brian Koontz, the man of a billion useless facts, and always one ahead of me.

Got a link to the study?

Unfortunately no. It was just one of those random, amusing emails I get. It made it through the spam filter so I felt compelled to read it.

WTF is that fourth one?

It is old news. It’s also the basis for speed reading, although typically you read entire lines at a time rather than individual words (and I doubt that you could mix up the words and maintain the meaning, so maybe that doesn’t work exactly the same).

It did solw my rniadeg dwon, tohguh.

It’s iieennrsttg to ntoe taht samll wdros are eaeisr to uaglnnte bacesue tehy msot leikly ilnvvoe silmpe taiinooprsstn of a sgilne leettr. Ntoe how mcuh mroe dcffiilut it is to unbalcmrse lnog wdors, ealeclipsy the fehturr I mvoe leertts form tehir “correct” paceelmnt.

I iagimne taht wr’ee aslo uesd to snieeg smilpe lteetr spaws wlihe tnpyig. For exmpale, ‘teh’ and ‘mroe’ are two of the mroe cmmoon tgryphoaic eorrrs.

As Koontz pintoed out, I soppsue you cloud also run itno poembrls wtih wrods lkie ‘form’ and ‘cloud’ wehre traipsnsong the lteters gvies you aethonr vlaid wrod.

• Alan

Honestly, Alan, even the longer words were no problem. Even when they were difficult to individually discern, you can almost always suss out their meaning via context.

To quote John Belushi:

“Tohguh! Tohguh! Tohguh!”

wlejlkjf kiedlg si leiagt kdi niqlact spoon?