International Talk like a Pirate Day

Hoist the colors, ye scalawags.

Thar was French privateers, nay? Whatd’ya reckon the French lads sounded like when they was trolling fer doubloons along the Spanish Main?

• Alan

How ghey. I mean . . . Arrrrrr, how ghey.

Though I did go as a pirate to Renn Fest one year. Actually, this weekend is pirate weekend at the MD Renn Fest!

Arrrr, I be listenin to the soundtrack of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland.

Yarr, Mike Leach!

As his team raced onto the field, he gazed into the stands filled with screaming fans and wondered about the several thousand “cadets” from Texas A.&M. clustered in one end zone. They wear military uniforms and buzz cuts, holler in unison and stand at attention the entire game. “How come they get to pretend they are soldiers?” he asked. “The thing is, they aren’t actually in the military. I ought to have Mike’s Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you’re a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we’ll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that.”

Up in the sky boxes, the wife of an Aggie assistant coach insulted every female Red Raider in earshot by saying that at least she lived in College Station instead of Lubbock. (“First of all, we just beat them, 56-17,” Leach says when told of the incident. “By rights she should now be a Red Raider slave.”)

Leach is priceless.

Mike Leach rescues his son’s hat from falling overboard, over and above the protests of his wife and son.

Chuckling to myself, I elbow the wife. “Look at this. This dude who
looks like Mike Leach is fixing to be swimming. Should be entertaining.”

Wife looks over, looks at me with a cocked eyebrow. “Uh, John, that IS
Mike Leach,” she says.

No way, I think. I look over. Light bulb goes off over MY head. Sure
enough, that is Mike Leach. Now this is going to be immensely more
entertaining than I originally thought.

Yarr!

Arrghgy Dharrghy.

Me wife’s been piratin’ fer sum’time on this very day. Lubs it, she does.

A vast ye swabs! Repel the invaders!

There’s a pirates of the burning sea related event at the aquarium today methinks.

Marcus, I want you to write all your reports today as if you were a pirate.

I dare you.

I double dare you.

Arrr.

Fourrrrrr more days until the best day of the year! And look, you can get free donuts!

Because nothing says “pirate” like massive sugar intake.

Isnt rum distilled from sugar cane? So yeah, theres your connection, matey

Yarr, Krispie Kreme still be sailing the seven seas? Methought they’d all been sunk and sent down to Atkins Diet Locker.

Free donuts on their way to Davy Jones’ locker :(