Internet decisions for new house

Yikes, that’s like a car payment.

!!!

I wish.

Not sure if you’re saying you wish it was for a car payment, or that it’s not a realistic car payment. But it’s more than my car payment :)

Heh, I’m saying I wish my car payment was that low. Then again, I chose to indulge myself, so it’s my own fault :).

My FiOS contract expired and they’ve been gouging me out of contract for a few months, and of course, I hadn’t noticed. After a number of unsatisfying phone calls, I’ve decided to take a brief sojourn to Spectrum. I’m dropping from ‘gigabit’ to 600Mbps down, but going from residential, to business w/ 5 static IP’s and saving $60/month.

No contract, so if it sucks, I can go back to FiOS w/ a better new customer rate. It’ll be nice to finally have a few static IPs to play around w/ home servers, Nextcloud, etc that I can keep off my home LAN.

Is that 600mb guaranteed? My Spectrum claims a much higher rate than I actually get.

I’ve got Spectrum gig (which is 940) and with ethernet directly to my laptop I get over 900. With my Orbi mesh router I get about 400-500 everywhere in the house with multiple devices going at once (TVs with streaming (we use Youtube TV instead of Dish now) PCs, iPhones, etc.)

I have little in the way of expectation for that, my current FiOS Gigabit can easily drop to half those speeds. Aside from downloading a new game, the bandwidth is largely unneeded anyway. I’m way more excited about having static IPs to play with. Worst case, I’ll go back in a few months on a cheaper contract.

There just too many factors to guarantee anything. Must folks get about 75% of the advertised max. Then you have inside wiring, peak hours on fiber, cheap equipment, etc.

I have Xfinity (comcast) gig speed that comes with unlimited data. They love/hate me so I get a sweetheart deal at $50 a month. I get about 95% of the advertised speed most of the time. I’m close to the node though and in the industry so they have a hard time bullshitting me.

Question: I am constantly testing my internet speed, as we use streaming for all of our TV viewing. I’m sitting in my den, the Orbi and cable modem on the other side of the wall from where I’m sitting on the sofa. About 15 feet away. My service is Spectrum 1Gig, so 940 Mbps. Connected directly to the Orbi or Cable modem via ethernet, I get close to that. Normally via wireless I’m getting around 500 Mbps (speedtest.net) - but right now, on the sofa, on my newish Thinkpad X1 Carbon laptop I’m getting about 200 Mbps. Sitting in the same spot, my iPhone 8, also using Speedtest.net (and same server) I’m getting around 500 Mbps. Same spot, only difference is my laptop vs. my iPhone 8. I also know this laptop has shown 500 Mbps often here, as It is what I usually test the speed with. Looked, no backups going on, iCloud disabled, etc. What could be leading to the slowdown on the laptop?

Difficult to say, could be how you’re holding it, or perhaps the antenna is loose inside the laptop. 500Mbps is extremely good, getting over 450 or so is very unusual with 2x2 MIMO AC.

Yeah, very odd, walked in and stood right next to the router and still only got about 190. I’ve been getting on this about 450-500. And I am getting that on my iPhone 8. Time for a reboot. Stopped all the processes I could find that were extraneous. After that I supposed a virus scan (I guess I’ll use Defender since that’s all I’ve got right now.)

You haven’t even rebooted? Yes, try that first.

Yeah. Duh. Didn’t work though. Running full Defender scan now. Hmmm - it’s also running on battery power, need to check and see if plugging it in makes a difference.

OK, not sure what’s going on. With everything off, browser closed, using the Speedtest windows app, i was back at 200 Mbps. When I first rebooted, it fairly quickly came back to around 350 or so. still not the 500 showing on the iPhone and what I usually get on the laptop. Then after about an hour it went back to being capped around 200 again. Now it’s back to 350 again. Hmmmmmmmm

EDIT: Then back to 200. Every time. Then it’s capped at 150. These seem to be changing randomly. At the same time, my iPhone 8, right next to the laptop, is getting a solid 450-500 at the same time.

Try a USB wifi adapter if you have one. Otherwise, your antenna may be a bit loose.

Hmm, may try the adapter. Driving me crazy that something is going on in my laptop to slow down things (some background process, etc.)

In fact - 2.4 GHz for AC has a cap of about 200 Mbps, 5 GHz supposedly around 433 (which is why my 450-500 numbers are pretty amazing) - it’s almost as if it’s switching between those two. Wonder if there’s a way to force it to be in 5 GHz mode.

OK, I see the problem, or at least the symptom of the problem. When I look in my network properties on my laptop it says I’m connected via 2.4Ghz to my Orbi. When I go into my Orbi and connected devices, everything is connected via 5 GHz except my thinkpad, and it also shows it is connected via 2.4 GHz.

Now I need to figure out how to get my Thinkpad connected via 5 GHz. It of course has dual band AC capabilities and is normally connected via 5 GHz.

5Ghz AC 2x2 (2 streams) can theoretically get up to 867Mbps but is normally capped around 400Mbps due to wifi overhead and interference.

You may need to turn up the radio power on your router or enable band steering to get your laptop on 5Ghz. If your router doesn’t support that stuff, you can setup separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.