Internet speed

Shit, I’m jealous of your old upload speed let alone the new one.

Mine is like half your old one and that’s a decent improvement over the years. Zero faster options in my area.

Yeah, my upload speed is still down at 10 mbps or so. I realize that people don’t use upload nearly as much as download most of the time but I feel like 10% of the download speed shouldn’t be too much to ask…

I’d really like to see my upload speed greatly improved. The move from 100 to 150 down is nice, for the same price, but I’m still at only 5 up. And that has practical implications; for example, using cloud based backup or transfer is a pain due to the slow upload speed.

I have my gaming desktop on wifi and I’m trying to judge if running ethernet cable and installing a wall jack is worth the 4-6 hour project it will likely turn into. It’s not too bad because I can run the cable through the unfinished portion of my basement. But it’s still a hassle.

My desktop doesn’t actually have wifi, I re-purposed an old router using DD-WRT to act as a wireless access point. I get 8-10MB/s down from the internet, while my package should give me 100Mb or 12-13MB/s. I don’t do a lot of file transfer over my home network so I don’t really care about gigabit. I did a ping test and it is at around 110ms average to google.com. I’m pretty much completely done with online FPS games, but I play Hearthstone, and maybe could get into a Moba someday again. I’m thinking about upgrading my internet speed package as well.

Is playing a moba the decision point where I would need wired ethernet to address my ping time? Is it otherwise worth it? Are any of you content with wifi on your gaming PC?
Thanks

I’m perfectly content, but my ping is a lot lower than 110ms (4ms on my old USB wifi adapter as seen here, probably less now I have a PCI-e card). Maybe get an actual wifi card?

Don’t ping Google, ping your router. That will tell you how much latency wifi is adding.

I’ve been gaming competively over wifi for 3.5 years now, and it’s fine. The trick is to use the 5Ghz band. There’s way too much noise on the 2.4Ghz band.

Pings to my router are 1ms and Google dns (8.8.8.8) is 7ms.

Good points, thanks. Probably the wi-fi card is the way to go - I just thought it was cool to use a router that way.

Got the TP Link wireless dual band N900 (no need for AC here) pci express card.

Ping router - average 3ms
Ping google.com - average 18ms.

Peace of mind!

Yay, ATT finally fixed my internet speed. Apparently it was affecting my whole town (well, city). I noticed last night my cable wasn’t getting scrambled during commercials and when switching channels like it had been doing for the last 4-5 months. And sure enough, everything is finally fixed.

This is 1Gb internet over 5Ghz wireless AC.

Fucking hell. That’s like shit from the future compared to what I have available.

Sigh. Maybe someday I will have more choice than mediocre to serviceable here.

Paying for 250/30, I guess this ain’t too bad.

Still, I wish Google would extend Fiber another mile or so to reach my place :(

A new record for me.

Nice, must be 3x3 AC.

Should be able to eek out even more being closer to the AP. He’s above 433, telling me his AP is 3x3 and his client is 2x2, so he could theoretically get 867 (866 measured.) Or, more likely, that’s with multiple clients connected at the house. Which, given that assumption, is still VERY fast and a damned nice signal strength.

Example of being the only device at the house (which happens like only the first time you set things up.):

Link speed of 867 is very different from actual speed of 867. You’re lucky to see half that.

Absolutely true, but that’s inherently true for all wireless. And for what it’s worth, for him to get that throughput, his link speed IS high.

FWIW I wish I had @Belisarius 's internet connection. Best I can do here is 100Mb. :(

AT&T came through my apartment building in Atlanta over the last two months or so (it’s a big complex) and installed fiber into every apartment in preparation for gig internet. I can’t wait.

PS - the fiber line itself is pretty amazing. It’s as thin as a string of thread!

Enjoy. It’s a huge quality of life improvement. At least it was for me, as I was upgrading from a 7Mbps ADSL connection. How much are they going to charge, BTW?

No idea yet. Comcast kinda offers 1 gig speed for like $150/month or something silly. Plus you have to sign a two-year contract. I think they purposefully load it with stuff that turn people off to be able to say they offer it without having to actually offer it.

I’m hoping it’s in the $75-$80 range.

Yowzer. Mines £60 including “landline”. I keep meaning to drop the landline to save a tenner a month but I haven’t got round to it yet.