Internet speed

After going a few years without broadband at home, a month or so back I signed up again. Went for Gig speed because why not? The reality is it’s more than one person needs but what does need have to do with it?

Oddly there’s always slightly better download rates from ~75 miles away than from a server in my town. Fastest was 952 Mbps, 920’s to 930’s is typical.

Am I reading that right? Are they limiting you to 20Mbps upload speed on a gig circuit? That seems overly limiting in a very strange way.

Yeah, I’m on gigabit fibre and my upload speed is sometimes higher than my download. Seems weird to have it so asymmetric.

And yet, that’s how cable do. I’d have expected maybe a bit more upstream, but like my 250 megabit (sometimes going as high as 290) down caps at about 12 megabit up.

The installer said later this year they’ll bump upstream to 80 - 100 Mbps. That may be a company rumor.

One nearby small town has fiber with 1 Gbps both up and down but it’s $150/month.

Hey, if it’s not a big deal to you guys it’s okay. I work from home occasionally and a low upload would slow things way down. I don’t have that much more than you on upload though, and I’m VERY envious of your download speed.

@Skipper you don’t have to apologize for your e-peen.

Man I only have 100/30. He has 1000/20. I’m envious of HIS epeen.

Well, looks like I’m going back to Comcast. There’s something wrong with the local ATT NOC and calling support is of course useless.

$60/month, no caps.

I don’t download much stuff, so I don’t pay attention to my speed. I think it went up recently to 18/12 Mbps though.

I’ll have to see if anyone else starts doing this. I haven’t had TV service for… years now. This would not prompt me to change either though.

Wouldn’t the FTC frown on something like that?

Yeah it’s pretty blatant- then again this is Trumpland.

Charter’s offering gigabit in my area now- but not the base 200 speed. I’ll keep my package for now.

Just makes me so happy.

Get back to me after it’s unpacked or unlocked or finished whatever it does at the last second!

When I lived there in 2010 the internet was shit. Good to see “you”'re still going strong.

Telstra, the “national broadband network” and bonkers politicians still fucking up things I guess?

Doesn’t comcast have bandwidth caps? 1 GB so that you can burn through that cap even faster!

Yes, 1 TB. I’ve only hit it once.

Heh, I’ve used triple that this month so far.