Internet speed

Got my cable upgraded to 200/5, no extra charge.
When I next move houses I shall make sure it is an area with fiber, I want me some of that sweet upload.

The cable company can’t wait for you to hit their data cap and start charging you overage fees.

It’s amazing how I cut my TV cable and dropped down to $80 a month from $170. Now I am right back to $170 because of the data caps and general price increases.

I finally got the upgrade here from the 65/5 I had for ages to 100/10 and it’s great. Plus apparently it’ll be going to 200/10 this month and I can then decide if I want to drop extra on the 400/20 that’s here.

Though I may hold off since they are supposed to have near Gb by year end and I’ll decide how much I care about either of them.

Hah, I’m not american, no data caps here. I’m only limited by the size of my hard drives.

My RCN provider has no caps here in the USA. :D

Yeah, I’m at 200/5, no data caps in nowhere, IA.

One thing I love about Charter (now “Spectrum”), is that they don’t have caps.

Don’t worry, they’re coming. If not purely out of greed, then when the gutted shell of the FCC rubber stamps their merger with a company that does.

250/25 here. No data caps, though I did have to take the $10/mo higher tier to get that way.

Worth it.

I don’t think Comcast has caps in my region yet. I don’t know why, since they have a monopoly in the region.

As far as I am aware they have had caps in all service areas for ages now. What they didn’t do is enforce them until they moved from the “you violate the cap and we cut you off” policy to “you violate the cap and your bill goes through the roof”, which they were rolling out on a regional basis.

For now. Time Warner does right… did Charter join them or the other way around?

Charter bought them, 2 years ago, nothing has changed.

Though they just got kicked out of New York state, because they refused to increase their cable infrastructure as per the agreement for the merger.

I hate you

and you

and you

and I am actually just laughing at you because Charter can’t wait to bend you over. A condition of the merger was that they can’t charge you data caps for 7 years, so enjoy the 5-6 years left.

Granted that’s a pretty long time so maybe I should stop laughing and get back to hatin’

Perhaps, Time-Warner never had any caps either. My feeling is the concept of data caps on non-mobile broadband will be completely obsolete in 5 years.

There was never a reason for them beyond greed. I don’t expect greed to go away in that timeframe.

Sure, but it will be seen as completely unacceptable in 5 years.

In Ajit Pai’s America, I don’t know why you expect that to matter.

This is my thought as well. As we move more and more to cloud storage and 4k streaming, data caps will have to go. They are a stupid thing to have anyway, as they are only really punitive, as the edge cases of people using up insane amounts of bandwidth are not what they are looking for.

Never put it past an ISP to charge you extra for something, but I expect data caps to only exist for their lower tiers of speed access. For the people, like me, who want the fastest speeds, you pay more and generally don’t have caps. A lot of broadband providers are capless at their 1 gig+ tiers.

Either way, Spectrum has been great, as far as a large ISP can be. Miles better than comcast.

I only expect caps to end if companies that benefit from unfettered data access get more rich and influential than the ISPs. The ISPs have zero incentive to stop when they can charge you extra and have no competition. And what the public wants has fuck all to do with it.