Internet speed

Ahh , yeah I don’t upload much other than photos for development , so no biggie.
Thanks for the info @stusser , my networking knowledge is very basic.
I gave Steam something to do, is this the fastest Steam can deliver?
6GB in 2 minutes is still amazing. :)

No, I’ve seen upwards of 90MB/sec on Steam. Posted it earlier in this thread actually at some point.

There’s potentially a lot of network complexity between you and Steam (or any other service provider). I’ve found out the hard way that no matter what kind of connection I have, and how good the service end is, stuff in the middle can gum up the works. I actually have to play Path of Exile through a VPN because some weird-ass routing causes packet loss along the route from my cable modem to their servers. Clearly no bandwidth or latency issues since I can play the game fine with the added overhead of a VPN, but something in the middle just hates me.

Anyway, moral of the story…be very happy when you’re getting 500+ Mbps. :)

I have notable wait time for pretty much anything I upload. Charter’s upload speeds are ridiculous.

You should in theory be getting 200/10 at some point soon. I’m now at the 100/10 and in the actual office here they said that the download is going to be raising to the 200 shortly.

So there’s hope.

I went back to the start of this thread, hard to believe this was 4 years ago! And almost 5 years ago I had shitty DSL!

Just imagine downloading a 140GB steam game on 3MB dsl.

Guess I should feel guilty about my upload speeds…

Lucky enough to live in a city with competition between a cable company and a fiber company. Pay just under $50/mo for 200 mbps service

I finally got a consistent speed test result:

My eero router automatically tests daily, but I was never seeing above ~300Mbps. They are using Ookla Speedtest.net as far as I can tell. I saw the same on Speedtest directly. Using DSLReports I initially got similar performance.

Once I turned on HTTPS however I started to see the correct speeds. My only thought is that Spectrum is transparently caching HTTP requests. Anyone have any more information?

Are the top tiers really worth it? I feel like even if I got 100 Mb/s offered it would be worth it because the amount of times I would ever need that top speed compared to 60 is almost… zero. I don’t often play games that day I download them, and when I build a new computer I do a lot but that’s been every 5-6 years.

I just want steady, relatively fast, and cheaper.

I’ve got three kids who are all streaming or gaming on different devices most of the time. Makes faster worthwhile for me.

Aaah, lots of people at the same time. I can see that. I use multiple devices at the same time but never anything approaching my max.

The top tier Netflix subscription has 4 simultaneous streams for a reason! 😉

If you’re lucky, you sign up for 75 mbps and then the cable company arbitrarily ups speed for the same price until you’re at 250 and getting closer to 290. Or at least that’s what happened to me. Do I need to be able to download GTA V in 40 minutes? No, but I am not gonna complain

The only thing Charter does for me is try to sell me their internet, phone and cable package with a different name and now a hidden standard price for oooh, probably going on 8 years or so now since I cut cable. They don’t like giving deals to internet only customers.

“Worth it” is subjective. Has moving from 300/30 to 1000/1000 changed my life in a substantial manner? Well, no. It’s not like 300Mbps is insufficient to stream netflix. But I do love it so. It makes me happy.

The number makes you happy or the actual experience?

I totally get if you have five people pulling data my sad little 60 might suddenly not be enough, those darn kids.

You people are making my little 2001-era 6mb DSL plan feel inadequate. Shame on you.

I read an article about 5G and potentially 6G. IT almost sounds like that would be faster what you are getting with DSL… in theory.

How do you even load the forums? ;)

Being able to download and play any game on Steam in <30 minutes, priceless!

4G is faster than DSL in some contexts.