Internet speed

I suppose that seems true but when I am price shopping in a store around here, it seems so slow to me.

Oh the number, in most cases. It does give me a thrill when I download a steam game at >90MB/sec though.

Aren’t you the one that’s also using unlimited Google drive as a mounted file system?

Yep, that happened when I was trying to figure out ways to really use my fast connection.

I’m moving into a new house that has fiber to the house. Bell Canada offered me 1Gb down and 750Mb up for $72 a month for 12 months, $110 after. No cap. He said I could probably call towards the end of the year and get another promo rate. So that sounds pretty great… But I don’t think I’ll use it. Saving $10 a month brings me all the way down to 50 down and 10 up… or switching to cable and getting 250/15.

Bell even offers 1.5 down and 1 up for $85 if I want it, that’s getting crazy.

Any time my internet price goes up I call Comcast, talk to their retention department, and we get it back down. I would imagine Bell Canada probably has the same setup. And if you can get those kinda speeds, well worth it IMO.

Well what do you know. I got a letter that says I received an upgrade at no additional cost. And I sure did!

I REALLY wish I could get much better upload speeds. 150 down/5 up, and I get the full speeds all over my house and sunroom (Orbi) for about $65 a month, but the low upload speeds make using any kind of cloud storage impractical.

Slowly.

This will make everyone feel better: currently downloading XCOM2 from Steam at ~0.7 MBps
Download size: 60.3 Gb
Estimated download time: 19-23 hours

compare:

Yikes. 4Mbps, you can’t even stream with that right. They ask for 5 these days? That really sucks. Why on earth would it fluctuate like that. I mean they all do a little bit but it’s not usually… that bad.

And I assume you’re on that because it’s the best you have? I am wondering if the mobiles could do better for you shortly, although they’re still kind of spendy on that front.

I feel for you! Here’s to hoping you get modern and real broadband speed at a better price in the near future!

I see the .Au internet hasn’t improved since I lived there in 2010. It is just amazing that such a modern society is basically stuck at mid 90s era internet speeds nearly 25 years later, course, reading TheRegister about your NBN adventures it is no surprise… Probably Telstras fault, though.

I think its a secret ploy by the Australian government to keep its people outdoors.

Is google fiber pretty much dead now? Their project here in Phoenix got bogged down with a fight between the cities and the cable/telcos saying the deal google had wasn’t fair.

So I’m stuck with the shitty choices of Cox and Century link. Cox has a gigabit service, but Centurylink’s isn’t available in my area, and it looks much better with 1g up and down with no data cap.

Downside: dealing with CenturyLink. They don’t actually offer the gigabit to my location, but their customer service is in the top five worst customer service experiences I have had in my 35 years of life.

I’ve had their service before and didnt like it, but cox isnt much better, and if they truly get close to 1gb up and down I might be able to stomach them. If it suffers the same issues as dsl service, then I’d probably pass on it.

Looking for more input on CenturyLink from others. In my area, they just came around with a deal for 1Gbps, no caps, no contract, no forced bundle, free modem lease, price-locked for $60/mo.

I can’t find the catch. The deal expires if you make pretty much any change to service, but that’s acceptable.

We currently have Cox, and are paying more for 150Mpbs. I don’t need the speed, and I don’t think I get too close to the 1TB cap that Cox has, but the price is really hard to argue with. I see the customer service complaints above, but honestly we’ve almost never had to deal with CS so that isn’t itself a deal breaker.

I’d suggest asking at DSLreports, that’s the spot on the internet for ISP questions. But from what you’re saying, it seems like a slam dunk. I pay $72.48/month for gigabit from Verizon and I’m extremely happy about that price.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/centurylink

I would switch in a heart beat, despite being a 20+ year customer with Cox and generally happy with their service. The pricing is ridiculous, so $60 for gigabit… I pay over 2x that for 300.