Internet speed

It’s entirely possible that it’s some equipment problem out on the street. I had that about 6 months ago. Dropping packets, slow speeds, etc. They came out and figured out that it was a bad part in the box on the corner. Took about an hour. Smooth sailing since.

I’ve had 4 Spectrum techs out in the past two weeks. Ever since we had some major storms in early June I’ve been getting intermittent drops. At first they seemed to be tied to rain, but after the last tech ran all new cable from the pole and it was happening during clear weather, the fourth tech finally went up on the pole and checked the signal. His diagnosis was: There’s noise in the line upstream, there’s nothing he can do about it, but he’ll put in a note with maintenance.

So, uh, hopefully you have better luck!

That sucks @lockerK, good luck.

Comcast tech was here for three hours. He had an app that showed the signal strength to my devices and saw that it was too low. Then he spent three hours trying to fix it. Root cause seemed to be some old DirectTV cabling that Comcast was using under the floor. Eventually he had to run a new cable from the outlet on one side of the house, under the floor, to the other side of the house where the Comcast cable was coming in. A whole bunch of the fancy legacy shit that previous owners set up is now gone, but that’s ok.

Poor guy had to crawl through my crawlspace three times, from one end of the house to the other. He was filthy, of course. He was here for three hours, then after he left I had to spend another hour cleaning up. That’s a long day.

Anyway, by the time he was done his little app was showing green, so, hopefully it’s fixed for good.

Does Comcast still charge customers to fix shit that’s in their house…? No one made any mention of money. I hope not, because this would be an expensive service call.

If it’s their stuff, no. If it’s yours or some other company’s, maybe.

Pretty sure if it’s in your house, they call it your stuff. If it’s the line to the box, it’s theirs. They should have… told you about costs though.

I’ve never had them charge to fix cabling as long as it’s related to their service to the modem. I had a tech spend almost a full day at my place tracing down and replacing old cabling issues with no charge.

Every single time Charter sent a tech to my house, they warned me if they were sent out and it wasn’t theirs, there’d be a base charge and then hourly if it wasn’t their problem… at that point they would usually try to up-sell their monthly maintenance crap. It’s been awhile though, and I know the industry got their hands slapped for their monthly maintenance insurance/fees… whatever they called that.

Google and AT&T have both installed fiber to my apt. building this year, and I have gotten 5 calls from ATT in the last week trying to get me to sign up to their fiber internet plan. Each time they are dumbfounded that I have no cable TV, Netflix or satellite subscription plan to bundle, as if I am some alien creature not dreamed of in their philosophy.

Did a quick speed test on my phone

I had Internet almost completely stop earlier today. Tried two different adapters and two different routers. Web pages were timing out. Things seem okay now tho.

Did @krayzkrok post? I don’t see the body of his message yet.

My quick glance was 1130Mbps down and I was thinking ‘that’s fine’. Then ‘…wait a minute.’

Holy shit! It must be really tough to make parts of the modern Internet work at that speed.

Maybe you should upgrade to a telephone modem?

I remember back in 1996 I was all chuffed because my school had a T3 internet connection, 44Mbps, much faster than the T1s that were commonly thought as “god-level internet”. T1s were 1.5Mbps. So Krokster you’ve got a great internet connection for 24 years ago!

Dat ping time tho…

Perhaps it’s your provider? We had similar scenario when we were with Mate Communications. Ended up switching to AussieBB and now receive rock solid speeds even through peak times. Same NBN to the node, no hardware changes, wiring, etc.

Say no more.

We had wireless back in ADSL2+ days and during light rain it would drop out, and it was oversubscribed as well. Horrible times.
We could have had something amazing with the NBN… maybe next rollout? lol.

Wasn’t the whole NBN thing in Australia a disgrace? I remember when I lived there it was shite, and everything I’ve read since, from ‘The Registers’ Australia correspondents, hasn’t changed my mind.

You just gotta hold out for Starlink! Screw astronomy, we need our internet!