Internet speed

Heh.

On the other hand, TWC has crippled my upload (sub-1kb/sec) for several hours twice in as many weeks out of nowhere. Other users in the area (as polled via twitter searches) had no problems, standard raft of modem reboots had no effect, and the problem persisted across multiple devices connected via both ethernet and wireless. Modem/router combo itself showed no security blocks or other unusual activity or changes.

Both times, it started in the evening and was cleared up by morning.

Turns out, many websites stop working if you can’t send back “ack” messages every so often, including most Google services (Gmail, in particular, dies on that level of upload). On the other hand, Steam was perfectly capable of downloading a new game at like 1.6MB/sec–after it spent like 5 minutes “authorizing” the install or whatever to start off with. Speedtest reported DL speeds in the 30-40mbps range (usual for me despite my 50mb service), but could not complete an upload test to save its life. Ping times swung wildly on different attempts; my suspicion is that the upload (including a ping response) wasn’t just slow, but was literally non-functional for seconds at a time, coming back in heavily crippled for a few moments every so often.

Check the levels on your modem. I bet your upstream channels are noisy. If you have an Arris modem, they’re at http://192.168.100.1. Otherwise you’ll need to google around to see where to find them. And obviously, call TWC to complain.

MAXX hit me as well recently. Went from 20/2 to 100/10.

Only 100 megabits? How 2013 of you. Muaaa. Muaa. Mua.

We have the option for gigabit service in my area, but cable already gives 65mpbs. While obviously 1000 > 65, who can actually send me crap that fast, and what would I be doing that needs to be that fast? I realize it is for people that have 20 devices going full-bore 24/7 - we’re just not there. It also makes me feel old, because there was a time when it flat out wouldn’t matter that it was overboard…

Steam maxes out my 300Mb connection, as will multiple torrents. That’s about it. My connection is faster than most of the internet.

I do like the faster upload, but that’s only 20Mb. That made a difference streaming Plex remotely. I can remote stream 1080p direct play.

I just bumped my Rogers internet package from a legacy 60/10 package to their current 100/10 unlimited usage package and shaved a whole dollar off my monthly bill (I was paying a premium for unlimited usage under the old plan). I feel like I’m living in the future (or the recent past in the Stusserverse). :)

Why are you testing your Rogers connection with a Montreal server? Does Rogers now serve Montreal? Nice of them to throw in a bonus 30 Mbps!

100MBps here on an ADSL is bonded which would increase the latency for online game so I decided to stay with 50-60MBps.

From what I could see, speedtest.net checked the ping times from a few different servers near here and selected the one in Montreal for the test. I guess they just don’t have a server here in Ottawa.

The dslreports.com speedtest scored even higher (174.8/10.2), but they seem to report the peak, rather than a sustained/average, rate.

Edit: I guessed wrong. I went back to speedtest.net and discovered that I could manually select a local server in Kanata.

Woohoo! My fibre-to-the-premises finally got connected this week. I can ditch Sky’s godawful ADSL service at last.

Barring anyone living in Kansas City or Seoul, we have a winner!

Heh, happiness! We got migrated onto Sky when they bought Be. My housemate who handles it was “meh”, until we’d had Sky for a few days. Then suddenly, she was “you wanted to change to FTTC, right”?

…But sadly Hyperoptic passes, what, 40k residential people max? Less? (Big business can afford the install fees…). Did you know they were going to wire your building, or did you get lucky?

Likewise, and thanks to the timing of my move, I couldn’t even be migrated to the Pro version of the Sky service which was supposed to replace Be.

Did you know they were going to wire your building, or did you get lucky?

Basically they had flyers in residents’ (and potential residents’) mailboxes when I moved in, so I enquired, and badgered the building management company to agree to let them install it. Thought it was going to happen last August/September though.

I was lucky in that our cabinet isn’t enabled for fibre and we can’t get cable, so it’s basically this or max 7Mb/s. And the Sky service kept dropping out.

Ouch. And we never got anything about Pro here, oddly enough. Not that we wanted to stay anyway.

Apparently Sky are still billing “us”, after we migrated away which is completely wrong of course, billing should terminate when you give them the MAC.

(But…apparently they managed to pull out and are charging the old billing name and account, not the current one, from Be. And as that’s the account of the ex-Boyfriend, whose lying cheating ass was kicked out of here a couple of years ago by his girlfriend, she’s not fixing it. I’m rolling my eyes at that one.)

Anyway! Yea, Sky suck and such.

Just downloaded 30 GBs of Max Payne 3 while I ate lunch. So sweet.

Those speeds are outright silly, so it doesn’t really matter, but why is your upload speed double that of your download? That seems… unusual.

Gigabit is available in my area, but different provider and I can’t be bothered to go through the hassle of switching. Though I “only” get 85mpbs down (which itself is almost silly), I just don’t have reasons at the moment for needing more. I can plan 10min ahead to get my next game from Steam or whatever, and even the best streaming sites only need what - 5mpbs or so before they exceed the ability of my TV? We also don’t have a household that is streaming from 25 devices all at once.

I know I’m getting old, because once upon a time “need” would have never factored into the equation :)

Those speeds are outright silly, so it doesn’t really matter, but why is your upload speed double that of your download? That seems… unusual.

I was wondering that myself. I’m going to assume for now it’s just the service bedding in (it only went live a few days ago), but it could be a contention thing. Full speed Hyperoptic is supposed to be symmetrical up/down, but obviously more people are going to be downloading in a residential building.

I’m probably going to end up downgrading to the 100Mb/s service eventually, not least because I can only get the full benefit of gigabit if I run a LAN cable from my hallway, but I just wanted to see what full gigabit was like for a while.

Just ran it again:

I am so green with envy right now.