Internet speed

Here in Kingwood, my choices are 3Mbps DSL or 50-150 Mbps cable. Hmm, decisions, decisions…

Hmm, I should probably look into their latest offers where I am as we still have Charter here.

I switched to DSL way back in 2001 or so when @home went away and Charter took over for them here. Those first few months/year Charter put on a huge growth campaign, though, and had many growing pains. I got so sick of the outages I went to 1.5 DSL then 3.0 DSL for many years until we went to AT&T Uverse some years ago. We are up to 18 Mbps now, but I think I pay like $50 or so for it and could probably bet a better deal with Charter if I wanted. I would probably have to run some new cable in the house, though, as we robbed some original coax for running Uverse television signals through the house, I believe.

My other problem is I probably need a new cable line out to the nearest pole as the trees in the corner of my property have been mangling the one I have pretty good in the past years, heh. I keep meaning to go investigate what is happening out there as the line is almost hitting the garage now on the way to the house :).

Apparently, during some routine construction work a couple of miles from my apt, some guys accidentally cut a major fiber line. . . that provided the backbone of Time Warner’s internet here in the entirety of the RDU area (something like 6-7 Counties affected). To add to the fun, Verizon’s wireless towers were hooked into the same overall network, so they also got taken out. Basically killed cable service, internet, and cellphone service for a gigantic chunk of a major metropolitan area for something like 10-12 hours. Local 911 units were desperately trying to tell people they could probably still text emergency services. . . which wasn’t going so well, since no one had working TV!

And, to make the entire occasion truly glorious. . . Google Fiber is getting ready to come online for this whole area, and as a part of that, they offered free T-Shirts to anyone who was living in one of their to-be service zones. A very significant chunk of those free t-shirts arrived yesterday.

In my market I could have Comcast drop me from 100 to 50 Mbit, for a whole $10 less. Unfortunately, I’d actually be spending significantly more since the slash the hell out of your data caps if you go with the 50mbit plan.

Fuck Comcast, indeed.

I hope you people realize how lucky you are…

Still… I live in a lovely bit of the English countryside. And it has been bucketing down with rain. Normally the speeds are a lot better…

yeah the uk (outside of the biggest cities) is a bit of ‘life in the slow lane’.

I have download speed of 10.94 Mb/s upload of 0.99 Mb/s and a ping of 35 ms, and that is after a recent upgrade where i’m now nearly double the speed i was previously.

Rural internet in the US is pretty much still dialup with a bit of ISDN and satellite and maybe mobile if you’re lucky, last I heard. (ISDN being only slightly faster than dialup, satellite being potentially pretty fast but with incredibly high latency.). And you’re still lucky to get 10-15 mbps in many urban areas. It’s one of many reasons I’m a committed central city dweller.

I don’t have the speed that some of you do, but I’m happy with this. It’s on my laptop via WIFI. Brighthouse has increased my speed twice since I got it, at no extra charge. I’m curious what the wired speed would be. This is also since I dumped my crappy Brighthouse modem and got new stuff.

I’m curious what the wired speed would be

Given your upload speed, probably not much more, but worth a shot. Unless you’re on 5GHz 802.11ac you’re probably maxing out the wifi bandwidth.

I dunno. That is odd.
Try it again?
If you’re lucky, you could be the first to verify a conspiracy!

Gigabit FibreOP just launched in my area and, considering I have a 50/5 line right now, I’m seriously considering making the leap from the company I’ve been with for the last couple decades (well, them and the companies they bought out). It’d run me about $150 pre-tax CDN with Bell Aliant and I think I’d get pretty decent wifi speeds out of my Asus RT-AC68U, too. Can’t imagine how my current ISP will compete with that, but I’ll give them the chance anyway.

I noticed I was now getting just over 20MB/s downloads from Steam wereas a few months ago I was getting 15MB/s. Comcast must have bumped me up.

This is over 5Ghz wifi.

Can’t find what I read, but they apparently did a bit of service boost this week in a bunch of areas. I only skimmed the speed increases because I signed up last week to get gigabyte fiber installed from a competitor. Just made it available in my neighborhood.

Did my yearly call to RCN cable for MOAR SPEED, and I was granted 110/20 for the same price ($75 with unlimited nationwide calling) I was paying for 50/10. I am pleased. They also said 155/30 will be offered in the next few months. :D

Was the laughter human, or CROC?

Well I will have you know that from the hours of 7PM-7AM on weekdays and the entire weekend we now get 15Mb unmetered.

In a related story, fuck your first world internet.

What is the max real upload speed per channel for cable network ?

So in December Bright House is upping broadband speed again. Cool, as long as they’re not planning on capping anytime soon.

I’m 15 miles from Seattle and this is my current “first-world” Internet performance right now: