Internet tycoons left red-faced by £30 tab

Internet tycoons left red-faced by £30 tab

THE billionaire owners of Google, the internet search engine, were caught short in Rio when a local restaurant rejected their credit card.

Google’s owners, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, had spent three days in Brazil visiting a large ethanol plant and meeting local software engineers and members of Google’s Brazilian office.

On Wednesday, they dined on salad, fish and tropical fruits at the Gula Gula restaurant in Ipanema. But when they came to pay the £30 bill the two men were shocked to find their credit card refused, and were forced to fish another card from their wallets. A Google spokesman could not comment on the incident.

Err, so what. This happens all the time when ever there is a computer communication problem at the visa/amex/mastercard/discovery centre. Usually some really old modem has crashed. Thus the unpleasant necessity of carrying at least three types of card.

Oh no! Stop the presses! They had to find another credit card, one without an anal bank behind it, that would approve a businessman’s expense in a foreign country.

This reminds me of the time Visa refused payment for a bicycle I was purchasing at a local shop because earlier in the day I had paid a few utility bills with the same card and had bought groceries at the supermarket.

The security official on the other end of the line explained to me that the anti-fraud system flagged my card because the charges on my card that day were out of the norm of my established purchasing history.

I’m not really bothered by the fact that Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and Discover all keep tabs on my historical spending patterns. Really, I’m not. But I am bothered that the New Scotsman didn’t report on it.

Last week the same thing happened to me at mcdonalds, I called my card company who said that they had never recieved or rejected the card, on my way out I noticed that the place didn’t even take my brand of card and the clerk just never noticed the reason the card had a not approved status.

Weird. How does something trivial like this even get into the newspaper?

A Google spokesman? Some reporter called up the PR guy at Google and asked for an official statement on the event?

Wow, talk about a slow news day.

I can just imagine some tabloid reporter ninja hiding in the plastic plants next to their table. I’d pretty much rule out anybody in the place actually knowing Larry Page by sight, so unless he had a T-shirt on that said “I PWN G00GLE” then they had to have been followed and spied on.

heh…red-faced? Yeah, I can just imagine them walking out of the restaurant, holding their hands over their faces and saying “Please, no more pictures!” Once they got back in the limo, they probably cried on each other over this terribly embarrassing event.