Interstellar (2014)

…and since I mentioned this movie in another thread I just made, might as well start one for Interstellar (and I looked!). The teaser for this Christopher Nolan 2014 flick came out last week:

Also made mention in the other thread that Christopher Nolan’s regular DP passed on this to direct Transcendence instead, so Nolan acquired the services of Hoyte Van Hoytema, who was the DP for Let The Right One In, The Fighter and Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy.

— Alan

Calling it right now: nobody’s going to actually get to the stars, but some kind of convoluted public relations exercise has occurred that fools people into thinking they did.

So… it’s like Capricorn One?

— Alan

That would be super shitty, given the stirring stuff in that trailer.

I’m disappointed to hear that Wally Pfister isn’t onboard, as I really enjoyed his cinematography in all of Nolan’s previous films. Still, I’ve liked Van Hoytema’s previous works. Too bad it’s not Roger Deakins though…

Full trailer!

One of the cool things about this movie is that Kip Thorne is an Executive Producer. Thorne is a theoretical physicist who is among the first to postulate on the existence of wormholes, among other things.

— Alan

Why did they rip off the music from V for Vendetta? Looks nice, though.

Trailers use whatever music they can get because many times the actual movie’s soundtrack isn’t done.

For example, I can’t count the number of trailers I’ve seen that use the Clint Mansell/Kronos Quartet music from Requiem for a Dream.

Goodness gracious, is that Michael Caine? In a Nolan movie? What an unexpected delight.

Funkula wins the thread with that one.

So I read an early version of the script for this. If half of the things in there make it to the final version, this is going to be a science-fiction movie unlike anything in the modern era.

That’s an intriguing statement. The trailer is pretty boilerplate, unfortunately.

“Unlike” doesn’t necessarily mean good, just different :-)

Am hearing that the new trailer is pretty amazing. The first half is a lot like the previous trailer and the second half is just stunning. I haven’t really read too much about it, but even that makes me want to think… man I wish that wasn’t in any of the trailers. They should all be pretty much what is in the first major trailer. That feels almost like enough, though I know just that by itself may be a bit of a hard sell.

It should be available “soon” but no word was given as exactly when (during Comic Con that is).

— Alan

Alan,

Thank you for the heads up! I will try not to watch the trailer. But probably end up watching it.

The trailer is hitting the net. It’s… interesting. The scenes after launch are fairly intriguing. It does reveal some plot elements I think, but doesn’t seem completely spoilery–though there seems to be a rip straight from Executive Decision. The shot at the very end is pretty awesome. I wouldn’t even know what to call it. A protostar? A gravity lens effect by some massive unseen dark star? (There’s clearly an accretion disk turning as well.)

— Alan

Finally on Youtube:

— Alan

Final trailer:

And in case you miss it, there’s been quite a few TV spots.

— Alan

Only managed to make it 30 seconds before the bass drop. Not encouraging.

Nice article not only about how the visualized the black hole, but several discoveries they made along the way.

— Alan