Interstellar Space Genesis - Mastering Master of Orion 2

This has really been taking off in the space game thread:

So I thought I’d start one dedicated to the game itself, which you can learn more about here!

Oh sure, sick of us polluting the space thread are ya? :)

Hahahaha no not at all.

How much of the game is combat and how much diplomacy/development/planning? Or rather, how much of the game’s crunchiness?

Taking off. I get it.

hahahahaha (rollseyes)

It was time for it to be created, so bravo sir!

Will this run on a Steam Deck?

I really enjoyed my time with 1.0. I’ll do a deep dive with all DLC once summer heat is oppressive, in 6 weeks or so.

I’m really saddened by the name of the developer. Piraxis Games would have been much better.

How have I never heard of this?

We are little people who stick to per game threads Jeff! We should venture into the big ones more :O

You’re apparently not reading the space strategy thread. It’s got a big unwieldy name, and it’s sometimes (rarely) used for space sim discussion too.

Looking at the screenshots it really looks like a moo2 remake. Nice.

Does the design here try to do anything to mitigate or move past the multiplicative econ buildings that so dominate MOO2?

Sorry, being lazy and asking here but hey, I’m at work ;)

glad you made a thread! game deserves it :)

How does it compare to Stars in Shadow for example?

I liked SiS but this is so much better, in my opinion.

I played a couple games. I definitely got the “one more turn” hook but I don’t think I’ve got another match in me.

In these games I like when my bases/planets have character and the game incentivizes me to build them out very differently. In Interstellar Space I didn’t ever feel the need to do that. I could make some planets better at making ships but other than that they all turned out similar, and making new colonies wasn’t all that fun for me. Does this change in the DLC?

I did like what they’re trying with the exploration system! I wish more 4X games allowed you to continue to explore your interior instead of just outside your borders.

I’m one of the people obsessed with the game, clogging up Brian’s thread. (Thanks for moving it over here, Brian.) It indeed is like a MOO2 remake, and I think it’s recaptured some of that MOO magic – while also innovating and requiring you to make interesting decisions.

You can’t have everything – you must choose among infrastructure upgrades, culture perks, leader traits, buildings, and techs. E.g., when you discover strategic materials, you have to choose between one type of use and another, and that choice dictates which techs get added to your tech tree.

My favorite innovation is the “remote exploration” system, which requires you to scan sectors several times to discover new systems, planets, relics, etc. You don’t use exploration ships in this game, although you can build an expensive survey ship to speed up remote exploration, and your military vessels can do basic exploration. I don’t miss babysitting explorer ships as they snoop around the galaxy, or relying on AI to auto explore. I also like the infrastructure and planetary engineering systems. And it’s nice to have a real diplomacy screen, with lines connecting all the players so that I can see at a glance everyone’s relationship with everyone else.

My main complaint is that some text in the UI can be small and hard to read. Also, there are just 3 victory conditions: domination; election; alliance. Those all work great, and they are keeping me entranced. In some future DLC, though, it would be nice to have some more ways to win.

New way to win, like making the best looking and most effective logistics network between planets with an obscure scoring system!

(total abusive hijack)