Into the Breach - Turn Based Strategy

Just saw this over at Eurogamer, looks excellent.

It’s from the FTL guys and it seems like it’s going to be worth keeping an eye on.

• Single Player
  • Randomly Generated Challenges/Missions
  • Chris Avellone (Torment, Fallout) is penning it
  • FTL Composer Ben Prunty is doing the music for it as well

That looks very cool!

Soooooold.

So this is why FTL is on sale at 3 bucks on portable things!

Just like their previous project, the concept sounds too cool for anybody to successfully pull it off.
I promised to never again be excited about a game, dang it!

Well, really living up to your screen name, eh? :)

You didn’t like FTL? I thought everyone liked FTL!

Ah I was afraid I’d sound too negative.
Quite the contrary: being masochistic, I absolutely liked FTL. But when they kickstarted it, I thought the concept was sounding too cool for it to actually turn into a good game - which is why I am allowing myself to be excited right now :O

Re-reading your statement with that in mind, I see what you were trying to get across. Agreed! FTL sounded too good to be true, and I’m pleased it ended up as amazing as it did.

Want. Now.

Looks potentially interesting.

It does kind of look like a mobile game though. Just saying…

FTL had a similar chunky look. I think that’s just their style. It reminds me of advance wars a bit but more…advanced! :)

Is that your way of saying the art style isn’t doing much for you? Mobile games can look amazing, so I’m not quite following what your intention is.

I’m on this like a dead guinea pig on the president’s head.

On mobility: this looks like it might port to phones where FTL couldn’t, which would be nice.

Can’t decide if I’m gonna play this first or Overland.

Heh, I immediately thought Breach, from Omnitrend, on the Amiga. I know there was a Breach 2 as well. Turn-based, tactical, sci-fi, etc.

How have I not heard about this??

WHAT IS OVERLAND?

A squad-based survival strategy game with procedurally generated levels set in post-apocalyptic North America. Every random level is full of close calls and hard choices, even though the interface is approachable and easy to learn. Manage allies, fuel supplies, medkits and weapons by making the right choices on the procedural roadmaps. A road trip straight into the heart of the cataclysmic event that changed the Earth forever.

Oh, man. I’ve been playing the early access, and Overland is really shaping up nicely. Into the Breach definitely seems to be trying to follow the same sensibility, except with a larger visual scale (vehicles and buildings instead of people and rocks and trees).

Meeeeee tooooo! There were three Breach games, the latter two linked up with the amazing Rules of Engagement games. Man, now I wanna load those up…

I loved the ROE stuff, in concept at least. The tech was a generation off for it to really work, but man, the idea was great.

And why did you not provide a link?! :)