Into the Breach - Turn Based Strategy

Definitely sell the autoshield (unless it may work on the Reinfeld bomb? never tested that)
I’d suggest going all in on the grid: things can go south really quickly in that last mission.

Not the pylons I believe. It will hurt the Renfield bomb and your other mechs though. It can be difficult to use well without practice (and a bunch of pushing / pulling assistance from the other mechs).

Just checked and building chain is an upgrade.

Yup, that lets it chain through a building (with no damage). Otherwise it will just ignore buildings completely. Thankfully.

OK, probably not a good idea to test this new tech in a 1st try in the boss level. I know you can test your mech in a playground, but you need experience in the field to get a good feeling for it …

I would not get the whip for the last level because 2 damage to many targets probably won’t help you much. The last level needs high single target damage or control/repositioning tools.

Unlocked Steel Judoka.

I think they’re crap. Initial impressions anyway.

They’re weaker in the beginning since they deal so little damage. I expect them to do better later on as the Vek get more hit points and pushing them around becomes more important than dealing direct damage. I still haven’t gotten that far with them yet though.

Was watching a video earlier of a youtuber playing Steel Judoka on a train mission. At the end, this happened:

He thought it was hopeless for a moment, but he figured it out.

The arty got that crazy, crazy good spread shot that doesn’t hurt the point of impact but sends everything around flying with some damage.
The Prime is using a very peculiar unique move, throwing an enemy over his back, effectively moving it two tiles in a given direction, proved there is space for it.
The science vessel got a “pull” artillery move (better than the physical variation, but still not great). It’s mainly here to enhance the damage the enemies inflict among themselves.

It’s very dependant on the situation, but with their base weapons, not knowing the state of upgrades, turn order and damage of the enemies, you can’t really solve this one.
I figure a plan, depending heavily on those conditoins : the fly in front of the train is damaged or the arty upgraded, and the webbing bug is heavily damaged, and the shooting bug right below the train is at full health. Add to that a very specific turn order of all the rest and then:
pull the bug right below the train with science vessel flying over water, bomb a mountain to kill the fly with arty, throw the top rhino with prime as to be in front of the now aligned webbed and spitter bugs.
If spitter bug fires first, kills the webbed, then the rhino will ram it, and if it doesn’t kill will push it in front of the line of fire of the bottom one aiming for the science lab.
Lots of “ifs”!

The first enemy to attack is the one webbing the train (I knew it would be impossible to solve without knowing that, but I thought it was a neat situation overall). Suppose I should have posted a pic with the turn order showing.

The science Mech moves in between the bonus objective and the enemy shooting at it lower right, blocking that shot. It pulls the enemy webbing the train one space and it kills the other shooter before it can attack. The missile Mech hits a mountain, just as you said, killing the wasp when it hits the other mountain. The judo mechthrows the rhino, killing it.

But then you’d have to post the health of each bugs, and then the stats of each mechs: who could have guess the science vessel could move 5 tiles! Maybe this means this game isn’t as elegant as a chess p… Nevermind!

Lol, like I said, I didn’t intend it as something to solve, I just think it’s so cool that there was a way out of what looked like a horrible situation.

It raises an interesting point, because from my experience, I hardly ever experience totally unsolvable situation (at worse, I have some heavy sacrifice to make). I wonder how they decide the way bugs are going to attack, whether it is totally random or there are a lot of preset patterns they pick from.
In any case, it’s incredibly well designed.

From what I recall reading, the ai was not designed to be particularly smart. I think it’s relatively random. They felt the gameplay would be boring if enemies were more consistent in the targets they went after. Instead, they throw a fair number at you and you have to decide which threats are most vital

I wish it looked that nice on my computer screen. The pixelation is so fragmented it’s hard to see any fluidity in the graphics.

Are you playing in a Window or Full Screen?

Also, what do you have set for this setting:

Not sure. Will have to check when I get home :)

Got three perfect islands for the achievement with…the Steel Judoka? I dunno man. Once they got more damage on the Prime, a leap-4way push module for the Artillery and Harold on the Science ship, everything really came together.

Yeah, I just won with Steel Judoka too. Now have wins with 6 squads and haven’t unlocked any more, so I’ll probably try a random squad.

I almost lost my Steel Judoka run on the first island (I chose the 4th island, which was a mistake). They are a squad that is heavily dependent upon upgrades - once you get 2 decent abilities for every mech, the game is not difficult on normal. Mine were particularly synergistic - the semi-useless Science mech with the “pull” was enhanced with “teleport”, which made it a destroyer. The heavy mech got the lance-push as its 2nd ability, since I needed some additional damage dealing (and something he could do with limited space); and the artillery mech got an additional push but in a straight line hitting 2 squares, as opposed to pushing the 4 squares near the impact. Those abilities gave a lot of tactical options.

One tip that’s not necessarily intuitive - don’t neglect the additional move upgrades. They’re more useful than extra HPs in my experience, and they’re a good early placeholder if you don’t have enough reactor to get a good weapon upgrade. Anything that enhances your ability to get into position is very usuefl.