Into the Breach - Turn Based Strategy

Yeah i keep reading Flame Behemoths are sub par but they’ve been my best so far.

what I also love about the game are the meta decissions. They are so tough (which reward to take, how to spend reputation, which mech should get the core etc…)

Now I am at a tough spot: I won 3 perfect islands with the Rift Walkers… the 4th island is actually the 1st ( I reversed the order) … my Grid Power is at max and 33% defense .

Should I try my first 3-island victory or go for the 4-island victory? I have a great loadout for my mechs at the moment:

The burst beam laser and wind torrent for my combat mech
The repair drop for my artillery mech
The shield array for my cannon mech

also Camilla in my combat mech

so what to do? I lost yesterday a 4-island run, but was in a bad grid power position …

edit: playing on normal of course

You’ll want a 2- and 3-island victory at some point to complete that achievement, so if you have a 4 island victory already, I say go for it. Sounds like you are sitting pretty.

yeah, I think my position is too good to waste it on a 3-island victory… will try the 4-island run. I hopw attacking the 1st island at the end should be also a plus … need to wait until this evening

I fu—ed up in my lunch break, went for the 4-island … you broke me, game … why did I do it, why?
ok, next time 3-island victory first …

I made a custom squad, with the Rift Walkers punching mech, the rocket mech (artillery) from the rusting hulks and the guy who throws rocks (Blitzkrieg, artillery) and it was the easiest run yet. In one battle I killed 11 (!) Vek, and I finished the game with a 2 island run.

I’m starting to think i will never finish the game with any of the default squads. And Steel Joduka can suck my toes.

While they are unintuitive at first, I am of those that think the Steel Judokas are actually stronger the harder the difficulty gets: more veks inflicting more damage means more way to get them to hurt each others.

Completely agree. While it’s easier to get the hang of the game with some basic damage dealers, ultimately the higher challenges in the game are dependent upon manipulating the playing board units more than inflicting damage.

Just blew my final battle in a Hard run with a random squad (decided to go for it after 3 islands) by losing my pull/push science mech in the first round by miscalculating the damage. Dropping Vek into environmental hazards is a lot easier than blasting through them on Hard - too many Vek have enough hit points to survive attacks unless you maximize your damage, but if you do that you’re too slow or don’t have a decent secondary option/ability, and you really need as many tactical possibilities as you can get.

Early on I enjoyed terraforming two or three Vek.

So can we get achievements on Easy level? :p

I really want to get that “Ramming Speed” one, but not sure I can do it on Normal.]

Also is Ralph Karlsson or Nadia Lee better to carry over?

I don’t think Karlsson is any good because you’ll reach max XP pretty quickly anyway.

The best pilot in my opinion is the one immune to smoke/webbing. I’ve yet to find one as useful as reliably.

Heck yeah!

cool txs!

I have 3 points (none from winning yet). I figure when I get the 2 points for winning I’ll get the Rusting Hulks. So should I go for “Zenith Guard” or “Blitzkrieg”? Keep in mind I suck.

Hi guys, new poster here, wanted to jump in somewhere and I have experience with both of these squads, hope that’s cool.

I find Blitzkrieg to be powerful in some very specific ways (damage dealing), and not in others (crowd control). I had a fun and fairly easy victory with them, but I did have to suck up a lot of grid damage because of the nature of their attack strategy, which focuses on a chain lightning attack that often damages things you don’t want it to and doesn’t have any knockback.

Zenith Guard was my second campaign after Rift Walkers, and I think I learned the most about the game from playing them. They’re solid, and really respond well to thoughtful strategies. By the end I had them running like a well-oiled machine and took home an easy victory, but the road to that was a sometimes skin-of-my-teeth learning curve. I say go for ZG.

I tried the Blitzkrieg again.

I started with Mafan as the Prime Pilot (i.e. the chain lightning guy) so I had extra power from the start, which I used to ensure building were immune.

I also used the rock thrower primarily to fill in gaps for the conducting of electricity, and sometimes to block Vek spawning holes, and very occasionally to actually drop rocks on Vek heads. As the power came in i used it to upgrade damage and movement mostly.

I kept my artillery guy on the 2nd row of the deployment zone, always, and my hook mech on the front row, along with lightning guy.

I got very lucky after the first island because I unlocked a free tank, that the hook guy can now deploy. So, with the hook, and a tank for pushing, I can nudge Vek into position quite nicely.

Now add in damage upgrades, and Lightning guy hits for 3 damage, and the rocks hit for 3 damage. Plus the artillery guy now has 4 hp, meaning, in the worst case scenario, I can use him as a conduit and he survives.

My worst encounters so far have been webbers, but the Hook guy does well here, being able to hook either the webber or the webbed. Now I’ve just finished Island 3, and the last island is the ice island, whihc I absolutely hate lol.

So, the key is to:

1. use hook to position enemies, drag them into water etc, or save your guys from trouble.

2. get buildings immune asap, and use your buildings as bait, so enemies clump together, then you fry them

3. rock artillery is crowd control with some damage.

I heartily recommend any pilot that start with power, although I think the pilot that allows deployment anywhere could be interesting, as well as the one that allows double actions if you don’t move (on the rock artillery, that could be awesome)

Once you get your first upgrade point, I’d switch Mafan out of the prime and put it in the hooking brute. His shield allows you to use his mech as double positionning: you put him next to a building not only to conduct current, but you then also use the hook to get another meanie close, and you can set up very easily crazy chain reactions that way.

This was the key for me. It gave each battle a weird, tetris-like rhythm where the goal was to group enemies around the building clusters and then blast them with an upgraded damage chain. Until the later islands where the alpha bugs come up more often, this could be a total board wipe.

And that is oh so satisfying.

Yes, yes it is. I get a grin from ear to ear every time I wipe out the Vek in 1 lash of the lightning whip.

The best was an acid map where I had 2 alpha’s drenched in acid and a few other regular vek. Got them all linked together (thanks hook guy!) brought lightning guy over and WHOOSH! Map over. Still had another turn to waste too.