Into the Breach - Turn Based Strategy

“Deploying to Netflix Games on mobile”? I understand all those words individually, but when they’re put in the same sentence? Huh?

BTW, July 19th release date.

-Tom

If you’re a Netflix subscriber, you can play this game and others on mobile. I’m not sure if it’s accessible through the regular Netflix app, a Netflix game app, or each game separately on the app store.

On iPhone at least you just download the Netflix games straight from the app store but then you need to log into a Netflix account to play them.

I saw an add for a Queens Gambit chess game, that is releasing sometime this year on Netflix of all things - I really liked the look of it, so - apparently this is a new thing Netflix is putting quite a bit of resources into! (Link is to the game trailer on youtube).

Get ready! The phat new Into the Breach content, to be stuffed into your gameholes, drops tomorrow, July 19.

Is the nextflix thing just streaming like xcloud or is it some kind of Amazon App Store-esque abomination? Pretty fucked up if they finally brought this to mobile only to lock it behind a Netflix subscription. :P

I can’t even find out because it doesn’t release until tomorrow. Bleh!

You can always see how they handled Arcanium, another Netflix subscription thingy in the iOS Appstore.

iOS, indeed. I have Android. But that was a good idea! When I tap on it it pops up a window with a “go to Play Store” button, which takes me to a Play page for “NETFLIX Arcanium,” which lets me download it like a normal app. So, not streaming it seems and indeed rather bleurg. I wonder if these things will always be Netflix locked.

The game I installed (it was the undead running through cornfields one) was basically a regular android app (published by Netflix), so it looks like anybody could install it but there was a Netflix signin required when you open it. Into the Breach might be a Netflix exclusive on mobile though, although maybe this is better than FTL which didn’t even make it to Android…

I reinstalled it, in preparation for today’s update. Damn, just Normal difficulty kicks my ass. But hey, it’s very enjoyable too on Easy… (/shame)

HOLY SHIT. THERE ARE FIVE NEW SQUADS AND SIX NEW TIME TRAVELERS.

And I don’t even know how many new maps, enemies, missions, weapons, etc. there might be.

I will shit ALL your pants.

Also: many new cheevos.

This is my GOTY.

If you haven’t yet, BIYF!

My main tip for playing well at this is to make as much use out of the fact you can undo any amount of moves your squad makes before they attack (which you can’t undo). Move all your squad into position (as well as you can) and work out where things will be post-attack. This can save you making any number of costly mistakes such as realising that your unit gets blocked or pushes an enemy into a bad position. This can better help you work out combos and the best order of execution. Only pull the trigger once you’ve really cracked that.

Been ages since I played, though. I enjoyed it but it didn’t get its hooks into me as much as I expected. But I’ll take some free content, sure.

Still not out on Android, argh.

In my ‘defense’, I don’t have problems with the game on Easy, in fact it’s the other way around, it’s a bit too easy, as I’m able to get 90% of the bonus goals and win at the end. I just did and I’m rusty at the game. But I feel there is a big gap in difficulty between Easy and Normal.

Yeah, this is one of those cases where I love the game, but didn’t spend all that much time playing it, because it stresses me out.

I haven’t seen anyone pull off this formula especially well, but there’s a game coming out in a few weeks I’m looking forward to:

This is fantasy, and there are no fixed squads, so you can mix and match abilities more freely.

I agree with this - the problem isn’t that I don’t take advantage of the ability to roll back moves, I do - all the time. The problem is I feel like I’m constantly in situations where I can’t stop what is going to happen, or I can’t stop all of it, and so it snowballs into a loss eventually. On Easy, there are many maps I can 100% clear without problem, but on Normal I struggle to get past the first island. I’m not bad at the game, I don’t believe, so I’m not sure what it is where even on round 1 the initial setup and enemy intention is already immediately beyond me. Maybe I’m missing a key mechanic or something.

Just beat my first mission with the new Bomb squad (or whatever they’re called) on Hard!

Even snagged a Time Pod. Took a little damage (I think 1?) to the city, and missed out on a second bonus objective.

So good.

Hah, I liked everything about this game except for playing it for reasons stated. It’s like the devs tried to make a puzzle game that I was left totally puzzled by, even on easy, and I have been playing strategy games for a long time.

Not my cup of tea

Yeah, it’s a game that I appreciate a lot because how tight is the design: the gameplay based on moving around the enemies and using the environment more than outright damage, the hard decisions on equipment and upgrades, the variety of secondary objectives and hazards in different islands, the variety of squads… but at the end of the day, it isn’t a game I got addicted when it launched, and I know I will play some hours these days but again it won’t get its claws on me.

More than anything, it’s a game that remind me of those chess minipuzzles that you’d find in some newspapers, where it’s the end game and both players have only a handful of pieces in a corner, and it reads ‘white win in three moves’ or something like that.

In reality I know what i have to do to play on Normal and have a fair chance to win: play more slowly, think carefully each move and every possible action. But… I don’t.