----> Investigate. If you succeed, find an Arkham Horror LCG Thread

Well, I set up that third scenario, The Devourer Below, and absolutely got my ass handed to me.

Hard to tell from the picture, but that’s 6 (!) enemies engaged with my two poor investigators. And that’s after I’d already smacked down two others while gathering clues in the forest. Had two failures out of the chaos bag that led to this unfortunate state of events, but even if those had gone the right way, I’m not sure how well things would have turned out. There’s just a ton of stuff coming at you!

I suppose I could try again, but per the story everyone is dead and the Devourer stalks the world, so probably best to reset and try another investigator team.

Do you own anything outside of the core?

I have Dunwich Legacy too, and have used some of the cards in the decks. Would like to finish the first campaign before going on, though.

My wife and I just played the third scenario from the base set earlier today. This is our second time through the basic adventure, and things were going much better this time… until today. On turn three, my wife hit a card requiring a skill check with one point of damage per amount failed. She hit the token that gave a -5, and ended up losing 6 life, which flat out killed her. I was playing skids, and had minimal chances to actual find clues. We ended up with a very quick loss.

We still had fun though, and we’re planning on buying the first box for Path to Carcosa.

Ouch, that’s even quicker than my attempt! Those big negative chaos tokens are just nasty. Playing Agnes, I picked up Grotesque Statue after the first scenario and was happy to pay the 4 XP. Having a chance to pick one of two chaos tokens can be huge.

Completely fair.

Be aware that The Devourer Below is probably the worst scenario in the Core/Dunwich cycles so if it feels unfair and/or your enthusiasm starts waning…just move on to Dunwich.

Played through the campaign again, with Daisy and Jenny this time. Got back to The Devourer Below, and then…

Almost exactly the same thing happened. Daisy had one damage on her, drew Grasping Hands with a -3 token, which mean she failed the check by 4…dead.

I believe I will take this advice the next time I break out the game!

Been playing Dunwich and am finding that Rex and Zoey are one hell of an effective duo together.

Sheesh, there’s a lot of stuff for this game! I have like 3 of those things.

And the only products in the entire product line that can store the game are the core box and the Return to (Campaign) boxes. it’s special.

Sold.

Duke being playable is brilliant.

Dog Monocle

OMG, that is so doggone cute! I’m buying this one paw sure!

I didn’t want to clog the other Arkham Horror LCG thread with this, but looking for recommendations.

Apparently FFG’s Amodee overlords back in February decreed the discontinuation of FFG card sleeves. (Card sleeves and similar accessories are now under the Gamegenic umbrella of Asmodee). And yes, Gamegenic does make compatible sleeves for Arkham Horror…

…but they’re about 2-3 millimeters shorter than FFG gray pack sleeves now. Which is noticeable when shuffling or drawing cards. Really noticeable, I’d imagine.

So. It looks like I’ve got about 1,000 cards give or take to re-sleeve and commit to a sleeve company on for future expansions too. I prefer clear sleeves if at all possible, and not penny sleeves, either. (Probably at least ~100 microns thick.) Titanshield looks like a decent value buy for something in that range, but I have no experience with their sleeves. Ultra Pro is sold out of that size in my typical go-to online stores.

Any recommendations? Anyone have experience with Titanshield?

(And before you say it, not sleeving isn’t an option. For whatever reason – perhaps the muggy DC-area swamp weather – unsleeved cards have a random tendency to warp over a pretty short time too often.)

I’ve always used KMC Hyper Matte sleeves for my games. They’re cut a bit better than Dragon Shield in my opinion and feel very nice. Downside is they’re one of the more expensive options.

OMG, I had not heard that Asmodee discontinued FFG sleeves. It’s hard to believe they were unprofitable, as they weren’t cheap.

As it happens, I chose NOT to sleeve my most recent purchase, “Apocrypha,” because I play only solo. More importantly, I don’t think I like the game enough that I’ll wear out any cards. I like the mechanics a lot, but the storytelling isn’t as interesting as in Arkham LCG.

Anyway, on BGG, people are touting “Arcane Tinman” sleeves. They say the Gamegenic sleeves have a smoky quality that makes them less clear than the FFG sleeves. Clear is what I want: I just want to see the card as it was designed, not filtered. I hate opaque sleeve backs for the same reason. But then again, I hear Arcane Tinman has only 80 micron sleeves, and I’m not sure that’s thick enough. Has anyone tried Arcane Tinman?

So, the Great Labor Day Re-sleeving has begun and continues apace.

I ended up going with a newer company (I guess?) called Samurai Shield. Some great recommendations from card sleevers, so I thought I’d give them a chance. And they’re fantastic! Really great, and I say that as someone who’s basically used either Ultra Pros or FFG sleeves in the past. 100-micron thick, clear front side, matte-textured (but see-through) back side that’s great for shuffling.

As a compromise for my thousand or so cards sleeved with FFG sleeves that have been discontinued, I’m going to leave things like the Act and Agenda cards, location cards, investigator picture cards and reference cards all in the original FFG sleeves. And I’m re-sleeving encounter deck cards and investigator deck cards (including specials and weaknesses) with the new sleeves.

At any rate, I should be in good shape now, should FFG decide to start putting Arkham Horror LCG product back into the supply chain sometime in the next 6-12 months.

So any reviews on the new investigator decks? Any good? Having a working deck I can pick up and play without having to build one would be awesome for this game.