Invincible (the TV show of the comic)

I love that Battle Beast was voiced by Michael Dorn.

I’m really enjoying this show (except for the teenagey Spidermany romance subplot, which is just dumb), but I have to agree that Jason Mantzoukas is the absolute worst part of it.

I think he’s perfect casting honestly. That character is a dick you’re supposed to hate in the comic, too.

Big spoilers from the comic that haven’t happened in the show (yet):

So does Mantzoukas eventually voice Rudy too? Because that’s gonna be weirder.

Great episode this week. Show is really turning me around from my initial impression of mediocrity.

I’ve watched the first two episodes and so far it’s not really grabbing me other than a few interesting beats here and there. It’s . . . okay I guess, but it may have landed better before The Boys dominated the alt-hero space. I’m going to give it a few more chances due to all the praise, so let’s see if it can hook me.

I’m watching late at night when I’m exhausted and keep dozing off, so that’s probably not helping. I’m going to give episode 3 a fair shot when I am more alert, maybe even rewatch episode 2 first.

It is definitely a slow build.

I’ve said as much in the thread, but I was similarly unimpressed through the first three episodes and have found it vastly improved since.

Small thing I noticed looking at IMDB:
The high school is Reginald VelJohnson High. The principal is played by Reginald VelJohnson.

And his name is Principal Winslow.

The show is doubling down on Kirkman’s little in-joke about Winslow/Reginald VelJohnson, and also most of the story arcs were named after '80s/'90s sitcoms.

Keep an eye out for Twinkie sightings.

I really don’t know what to think of this show. It’s like an 80s cheesy kids cartoon filling wrapped in a hardcore adult gorefest gordita shell.

Other than the meta plot and trying to understand why the end of episode 1 happened the way it happened, everything else is super boring and predictable.

On top of that, you have a hero with powers like Atom Eve and she spends her time helping people grow crops? She could manifest a continent’s worth of food. She could end all scarcity of every element in the world. Instead she sleeps in a treehouse and saves individual hikers from mudslides.

The comic turns into Dragon Ball Z with escalating power levels.

Yeah, I wish there was less CW plotlines and actually deal with some issues or actually move the plot forward more than. The gore doesn’t feel like it adds to anything unlike The Boys. I still like the series though, but it feel like it’s missing something.

As for the Atom Eve comment. It reminds me of this.

For a guy who can throw a baseball around the planet, Invincible is not very strong. Seems like he’s getting weaker every week. I don’t understand how this week’s baddies posed a threat at all.

That is probably my biggest issue with it–power levels seem hugely variable. Eve’s in particular are ridiculous (as is her father) but Invincible’s are way too variable too.

Battle Beast is straight up stronger than all of the heroes that fought him, especially in tandem with the other villains, that wasn’t Invincible being less powerful. I think the cyborgs in this episode are also meant to be really strong and scary, but it’s also true that Invincible got out of the hospital this same episode and probably just a few days beforehand. He’s probably still recovering.

I was surprised by how tough those cyborgs were but, as said, we did just see Invincible get his ass kicked and he just got out of the hospital, so I’m not too bothered by it. I assume the payoff is CIA Director Goggins adding them to his list of experiments meant to fight Omniman. The Eve plotline will probably bother me more ultimately when she decides to stop helping people for some tenuous reason or other.

This was probably the weakest episode in a while, but I’m glad the parent drama is coming to a head.

This is generally the case with comics.

For instance, it seemingly takes just as much effort for superman to catch a bus falling off a bridge, as it takes to catch a giant asteroid flying towards earth.