Ion Maiden - 3D Realms Build Engine retro shooter

The game’s been officially delayed to Q1. It was going to be ready by Q4, but the developers knew they would get killed if they released then.

Since it’s trying to recreate the 1990s, there’s also a limited big box edition for people who like knick knacks.

Pity it is delayed. I am really looking forward to it.

Technically they’ll get killed in Q1 as well.

I was thinking something like that, a game that caters to old school fps fans seems to be something that specific (and fairly unique) that it shouldn’t be influenced by having the competition of BF, CoD or whatever.

Release it on February 22nd with everything else.

Hopefully they’ll be able to release a Switch port, something the team has been discussing, day-and-date with the PC version leaving Early Access.

Published by 1C, Ion Maiden’s coming to all the consoles, Switch, Xbox One, and PS4, in Q2, 2019. The publisher’s also backing a Quake 1-engine project by 3D Realms.

3D Realms and 1C Entertainment Bring Ion Maiden to Consoles Q2 2019

Joining Forces for Both Ion Maiden and an Unannounced FPS Based on the Original Quake Engine

DALLAS, TX – October 23, 2018 – 3D Realms, the developer of classic first-person shooters including Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior, will collaborate with global PC and console publisher 1C Entertainment to bring Ion Maiden to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in Q2 2019, in addition to the previously announced Steam release. Both companies will also collaborate on a new unannounced FPS based on the original Quake engine coming to all the same platforms as Ion Maiden.

Ion Maiden’s exclusive multi-hour preview campaign is available on Steam Early Access for $19.99 in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Russian. The retro first-person shooter developed in the Build engine, which powered Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, and Shadow Warrior, will simultaneously release on all platforms Q2 2019 in both digital and physical formats. In this prequel to 2016’s Bombshell, Shelly has to take down transhumanist mastermind Dr. Jadus Heskel.

While Ion Maiden utilizes a classic engine, Early Access players have still found the modern staples they’ve come to expect, including headshots, more physics and interactivity, widescreen support, controller support and auto-saves. 3D Realms and 1C Entertainment are taking the best of both worlds and cooking it all into a bloody stew.

1C Entertainment is responsible for the popular RTS series Men of War, the fantasy tactical role-playing games King’s Bounty, and World War II flight simulator series IL-2 Sturmovik. Collaborating with 3D Realms promises to bring both teams’ creative powers together and deliver the high-quality content gamers know both companies for.

“Presenting games like Ion Maiden to all of 3D Realms’ fans is our number one priority,” said Mike Nielsen, CEO of 3D Realms. “Partnering with 1C Entertainment means we can make our dedicated community happier by bringing Shelly to consoles.”

“I was always a fan of the old-school classic FPS titles Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Max Payne and Shadow Warrior, so I am super thrilled to partner with a legendary studio such as 3D Realms,” said Nikolay Baryshnikov, CEO of 1C Entertainment. “As a global publisher, our goal is to bring top-quality titles to all the gamers around the world, and our cooperation with 3D Realms is a great addition to our portfolio. For me personally, it’s a kid’s dream come true.”

3D Realms have been releasing some amazing blog posts deep-diving into the upgrades their making to the Build engine:

In some really exciting Build engine news, Blood’s finally being re-released by Night Dive. The current version that’s available for purchase doesn’t play nice with modern setups and requires a user-created Java program to run at a modern resolution and a decent framerate. I hope this new version offers multiplayer - that was a standout mode of the original!

Finally, 3DR have another old-school shooter in the works, this time developed by some of the modders responsible for the incredible Arcane Dimensions and running on the Quake 1 engine. Further details are scarce beyond this tantalizing gif.

I am excite!

Ion Maiden was just updated with a new level and tons of new features, including secondary firing modes!

“Heskel’s House of Horrors” update is available NOW!

EEEEE. Time for a revisit.

Yay, looks like Ion Maiden will be releasing very shortly!

FUCK YES.

Uber lame!

Heavy metal band Iron Maiden’s holding company has filed a $2 million trademark infringement lawsuit against a video game developer behind the “Duke Nukem” game that is selling another game called “Ion Maiden.” The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, claims entertainment company 3D Realms is conducting “incredibly blatant” trademark infringement—which could lead to “confusion among consumers.” “Defendant’s Ion Maiden name is nearly identical to the Iron Maiden trademark in appearance, sound and overall commercial impression. Defendant also uses the Ion Maiden name to sell merchandise including shirts and mouse pads,” the lawsuit claims, noting that Iron Maiden has also sold computer games in the past. The holding company alleges that 3D Realms engaged in federal trademark infringement and unfair competition, among other charges, for their “virtually identical imitation” of the band’s trademark. In addition to the $2 million, the suit also demands the company stop using “confusingly similar” products and relinquish their ownership of ionmaiden.com.

Oh god dammit.

This thought had crossed my mind when I first heard about the game, and in fact mis-read the title as “Iron Maiden”. I wondered if this could be a concern, but as time passed I forgot about it, figuring that games and music are two different industries.

Do you think it’s a coincidence that they waited until just before the game is set to release to file this suit?

Could they not have just sent a Cease And Desist letter in the early stages instead?

Anyway, jeez I hope this doesn’t fuck things up royally.

EDIT: Just went back in the thread and noticed this:

Is there anything less Metal than filing a trademark infringement lawsuit?

Ion Maiden could try something with ‘Scrolls’ or ‘Saga’ in the title though.

3D Realms statement on the lawsuit:

We’ve recently heard about a lawsuit filed in California by the band Iron Maiden, claiming our old-school first-person shooter Ion Maiden is infringing on their trademark. From what we’ve heard, the suit claims our main character, Shelly Harrison, originally debuting in 2016’s Bombshell, is based on their musician Steve Harris; our skull bomb icon found in-game is based on their skeleton mascot Eddie; our logo in itself is based on theirs; and other frivolous claims anyone who has played Ion Maiden would find more over the top than Shelly’s “Loverboy”, her signature 18-round triple-barreled revolver. We at 3D Realms, our co-publishers 1C Entertainment, and developer Voidpoint will review our options once we receive official notice of the lawsuit and will make any necessary decisions at the appropriate time.

Regardless, everyone continues to work diligently on Ion Maiden to deliver the best possible experience later this year.

Three more people after the first one. :)

I actually just saw this on the Iron Maiden Wiki page. Without knowing more about the details than available publicly, I would have to say I rather sympathize with the band on this one. Iron Maiden’s visuals, 'Ed the Head, and their whole look and shtick are universally recognizable and very monetizable assets, and it seems at least viable to claim that 3D Realms was deliberately playing on this to sell their shooter. I’m generally not a big fan of trademark lawsuits, but I can’t get upset that the band’s people are taking this route.