IOS files app

So I installed this yesterday. When I open it and go to “on my iPad” in Locations, it displays a grand total of 4 items…3 PDFs and a Pigment file. That’s it. I have reinstalled the app and restarted the iPad.

Surely that’s not right - what about all the games, movies and music, photos - why aren’t any of them showing?

I was hoping to be able to copy iTunes Store movies to/from my T7 Touch.

So,

The files app isn’t a traditional file manager like Windows Explorer. The On My iPad section is only local storage for apps that support it.

You won’t be able to get at the system-level stuff at all. You might be able to use something like iExplorer, or whatever the big one is these days.

It works better with a cloud storage app.

Oh really? I watched a video of a guy transferring files back and forth including movie files; I’ll have to play around with it.

So how do you get around storage limitations with iTunes purchased stuff easily without using a PC or Mac?

The rub is “iTunes stuff with their DRM.”

With iTunes, you pretty much just delete the downloads in the Videos app for stuff you watched, I think.

You can move non-DRMd stuff back and forth, but I am not sure how to get it to show up in the Videos app. Maybe “open in?”

Download VLC or another player.

I like Infuse though I haven’t had to use it for years since setting up Plex

Files does not give direct file access only a special specific location and only of the apps support it

No one at Apple or Disney or any of the file rights holders would allow us dirty users to be able to freely move media files

I find this confusing. On PC I can set the default download location for Itunes to be the T7 Touch, and then play the movies directly from the T7 (on my PC) when downloaded.

But on the IPad, I can’t??

Ok. Try this. I am assuming you are dealing with iTunes-DRM’d files.

Download a video from iTunes to the T7. Connect it to the iPad. Copy it to a folder in on my iPad. Double tap on it to launch the file. In a perfect world it should let you authenticate it against the iTunes servers, launch the TV app, and let you play it.

If it doesn’t, the TV app (which used to be the iTunes Video app), you can download them there as needed, and delete as needed.

Unfortunately not it seems.

well the point was to bulk dl to the T7 (2TB) and copy to the iPad (64GB) as desired, then delete, not dl to the iPad direct. As I’m going back to Indonesia, where the internet is very up and down, literally. And speeds generally are poor; streaming, especially in the evening, is often not an exercise for those with hypertension.

But thanks.