iOS Games Thread

Gems of War is surprisingly deep for a match 3, and you don’t have to pay anything really unless you just want to, or you plan to join a power guild, and then you at least will need one of the good armor sets.

Then again, the game is really best if you are in a guild of some sort, even a middling guild, because the rewards from the tasks and guild sears are astronomically better if you have 30 people (guild max) pounding out battles every day.

Erin the Last Aos Si is one of the better games you (probably) haven’t heard of. Good magic based tactical combat game. Free trial and then you pay what the game is worth to you to continue. I’ve been playing a bit daily since reading this review.

I had tried it a while back, but the game’s pacing and overall lack of interaction got me off very quickly - it actually reminded me of a DS space game whose name I can’t recall, which featured about the same combat system, and which I found also quite boring (I may have poor taste, but I am consistent!).

Infinite Space? Not sure why, but I have this weird feeling that’s the game you mean.

Absolutely, thank you! Keep forgetting names this week.

Race for the Galaxy is now out! AI is solid, btw.

Does it run OK on iPod Touch? I’m afraid to buy anything these days as 90% of games crash constantly.

Which version of iOS are you running? How old is your Touch?

Edit: although the game supports back to iOS 8, so should be good on most newer Touches.

Game looks interesting, but waiting for reviews before I spend $7 on it.

iOS 9, iPod 5G. Lots of stuff is ostensibly supported, but in practice is unusably unstable thanks to the comically small amount of RAM.

Here’s a review of Race for the Galaxy.

Wow, I’d never seen that site. Its full of exiled guys from Pocket Tactics. I’d wondered where they’d gone. Thanks for that link.

Yeah, it’s a decent enough forum, but they screwed some things up when it started (people weren’t getting confirmation emails…pretty sure that happened to me and I told them about it but I guess no one fixed it). It hasn’t taken off like they had hoped as a result.

I had to login in a second time to get my confirmation email. So, not fixed.

But with all due respect to this thread, I’ll take it. Pocket Tactics forum is a vast wasteland.

I’m kind of over Race for the Galaxy. Will we have to wait years for a ROLL for the Galaxy app?

Oh, who am I kidding. I’ll grab this so I can play something other than Onirim.

Wonderland (etc), that seemed liike aweird game, is free, at least for now. I am suspecting it might be one of those 32-bits app that won’t get updated, so it may be a last chance to get it sort of thing.

It was last updated January 2016, so should be fine for iOS 11.

Continuing my thread obsession over 32bits extinction, reading yet another piece opinion about it attracted my attention to I am level. The game is due to be unplayable with iOS 11 - for a variety of reasons you can read about - but I grabbed it since I have so many antiquated devices. It is really a great action physics game, with simple controls and a ZX spectrum esthetic. Perfecting each room of this “pinball metroidvania”, as it was tentatively defined in the aforementionned article, and earning checkmarks feel very rewarding.
Anyway, I wanted to mention it for those who might, like me, have not been aware of its existence.

This includes games like XCom, which really have no excuse to not be updated to 64 bit.

Yeah I REALLY hope they update some essentials like XCom, but OTOH publishers probably don’t have much incentive since many of these likely generate most of their income in the first few weeks or months of listing.

Wasn’t XCOM one of those games that had to be updated for an OS update a while back and was stuck in limbo for a while?