iOS Games Thread

I picked up Through the Ages and need to go through the tutorial tonight. I’m clayheaton on there if anybody wants to add me to their friend list.

I am having fun with Iron Marines. It’s from the guys who do the Kingdom Rush tower defense games. It isn’t a TD though, but a RTS that feels a bit like Infested Planet. You seem to never to control more than 3-5 units as you try to take alien based and hold them while still advancing. There is a tech tree and hero powers to help out. Controls are simple but it can get confusing trying to select units during a battle. Fun though, worth a look for $5.

I have only played on iPad, seems like it would be much too difficult selecting units and seeing the map on a phone.

My time availability is crazy erratic, but the Through the Ages port has to be one of the nest boardgame adaptations I have3 ever played. If you had never played, like me, no fear. The tutorial does a superb job of walking you through gameplay as well as various decisions you will face and shows results of each. This is all thanks to an ESSENTIAL “undo” button.

I probably played a dozen games over the weekend. Have yet to play any online. I’d like to play some of you guys eventually. :)

I’m happy to play TTA as well, username is Thraeg.

@Brooski and I are waiting for a game, @Tyjenks and @thraeg. Are you guys IN?

In! No, wait, I’m still too scared. Are you supposed to stall your economy in this game? If so, I’m really good at it.

-Tom

Haha… if you figure the economy out before you play ten games, you’re a smarter man than me.

What do you mean, “figure out the economy?” You mean, get it so that all the faces are unhappy all time and there is no food? Pffft, I can do that.

I’m in, my username is jkdvz. Just want to point out that I do have experience with the game since I own the physical version.

Rejoice friends. XCOM has been updated to 64 bit! My prayers have been answered!

can you set up an online game with both ai and human players?

Free for the first time:

The app store’s own Duke Nukem Forwver has finally released:

Lots good iOS boardgames lately!

The singe interface shot available on the store page looks extremely busy.
I’d love to hear about it, and whether the game is approachable to someone who never played the physical version.

I had seen a short video earlier and immediately thought it doesn’t look terribly polished (the way cards basically disappear when playing them is rather jarring, for instance).

Brad from BGG confirms that and basically says the app is perfectly functional but not polished and lacking extras/options (no stat tracking, no async mp, only one AI level)

Meanwhile, Dave (BGG/Stately Play) says:

That’s really the entire issue with the digital version. It’s lacking most of the features we’ve come to expect in our digital board games in 2017. No log indicating what was played by all players. No animations to make the game feel alive. Hell, nothing even happens when you build your Wonder other than a rectangle on your board turns white indicating it’s been built. For solo play, there is no option for different AI levels. And multiplayer…oh boy.

Neither of them mentioned a tutorial, which is odd.

Thank you for all the info. At least there is a tutorial item on the title screen!

I don’t mind barebones presentations (the port of games by Codito are amongst my favourites), but no async mp, on top of mandatory random matches, is a bit too much for me. I’ll wait patiently (which is fine, since the current iTunes rate for the euro zone is utter BS - 5,49€=4,99$, riiight).

I strictly play asynch multiplayer, but Dave mentioned it takes 5 minutes or less to play a game so it is probably forgiveable that there isn’t asynch for this game.

I have a slew of iOS games on my iPad Air 2 that won’t play because none of them have been updated for iOS 11. Most I’m betting will never be updated. Which is kind of sucky.