iOS Games Thread

I am pulling me through the daily waste of space and battery (1GB download, daily) and Apple reminder to upgrade my iOS 9 devices to the versions which don’t support slide and open and 64 bits app. You remind me that annoyance may be worth it!

Amy semi-recent recommendations for iOS on iPhone? It feels like most of the games being discussed here are more for tablets and I want something to play on my commute besides Ballz and Onirim.

I couldn’t tell you what Amy’s been playing, but I’ve been enjoying lots of async multiplayer matches of Through the Ages and Race for the Galaxy. Both are probably a bit easier with the extra space on tablets, but I find them to work fine on phone as well.

If you’re only looking for single-player, maybe Minos Strategos or Card Thief?

Onir… oh… well…

Through the ages is super playable on the phone, surprisingly. It may require a bit too much of a commitment for a commute, as you may skip your station.

I am in love with this game and haven’t stopped playing it since it release several months ago. Ignore the bullshit one star review. Well worth three bucks.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/missile-cards/id1240790443?mt=8

If you’ve never played To The Moon you should fix that stat. There’s a good iPhone version of the game that I just finished a couple days ago.

One of the most beautiful interactive stories I’ve ever played, with an incredible soundtrack.

I’ll probably skip RftG multiplayer. The turn density seems kind of annoying. The AI are brutal enough when I still don’t know what I’m doing.

Nice! Bought this and Card Thief for now

FYI: if you have insufficient space on your device, the update won’t download and you won’t get a reminder. And unlike a PC, iOS doesn’t suffer too much when there is only 1 GB of free storage.

I still get those blasted reminders on my phone even after deliberately making sure there wasn’t room for the download. Once a week.

Trying to keep those devices filled up feels like a variation of Tetris sometimes though!

Anyone got any recommendations that really show off an iPhone X? They don’t have to be the most enduring of experiences, just something flashy that looks good on this gorgeous screen, or maybe something with an AR gimmick.

Super Mario Run looks amazing. Crispest, brightest Mario game ever. Well, not including Odyssey, which I haven’t played yet.

Gorogoa is out:

All I knew is that Eurogamer loved it (I only skimmed the review) and it’s from Annapurna Interactive. It’s been excellent so far. I imagine it’s not a very long game, but I’d recommend it based on what I’ve played.

Also, Inside is out, the (better) game from the Limbo devs. I highly recommend everyone play some version of this game.

Fez also released yesterday

And Life is Strange. Lots of high profile games this week.

I have a nice lineup of iOS games to try during my ~30 hours of flying in the next two weeks:

• Monument Valley (I played this a while ago but want to replay it now)
  • Monument Valley 2 (Never played)
  • Hidden Folks
  • Gorogoa

I’d get Inside too but I’ve already played through it twice on Xbox. Absolute masterpiece though. Same with Fez.

Make sure to get the extra content for Monument Valley 1

Yep, already bought that a while ago!