iOS Games Thread

Time for a tangent: I’m mad at myself that I didn’t carve out time this week to play Life is Strange. I bought it at least a year ago and always meant to get back into it, and this week would’ve been perfect.

I’ve got a great roommate, I consider him a good friend, but things get tense around the television because he will not stop asking me to explain what I’m watching or playing. He will watch almost whatever is on, whether it’s a show or a game I’m playing, and it’s fun sometimes. He was a fun audience for Breath of the Wild, and at this point I’ve explained enough of Destiny to him that I don’t get questions about that. But every time I start a new show or game, I dread the first time he walks into the living room, watches politely in silence for the duration of whatever I’m doing/watching, and then once it’s over, the questions start. “So that character was a cop? Oh so this is a Marvel show too? Was that online, were you playing that with other people?” and so on.

I wish I’d marathoned through Life is Strange while he was out of town this week.

Gorogoa being released makes me believe in Outer Wilds being release a day too!

Gorogoa: ★★★★☆

This is a beautiful game with a novel puzzle mechanic. There were times that I wondered if I wasn’t paying close enough attention to some of the details to pick up on clues that would’ve saved me from some trial and error, and I didn’t really follow if the “story” was supposed to be meaningful. It looks so good though, and it’s very satisfying when you make the connections to advance. I’d strongly recommend it to anyone.

I played it for 30 min so far but still feel like it’s mostly trial and error since I can’t tell what’s happening. But it’s really beautiful and novel. I’ll definitely play it again once I complete it.

I’m just randomly clicking on things and dragging the frames around. I think everything I’ve done to advance has been purely accidental. :(

Aspyr Media has brought the full Civlization VI game to iPads. Civilization VI for iPad will run on iOS 11.1.2 or later and only be playable on iPad Air 2, iPad 2017, or any of the iPad Pros

The pricing for this port is quite surprising. Aspyr Media has released it for free and you can play up to 60 turns for free. It will require a one time unlock after that will cost $60. Yes that isn’t a typo. It will be interesting seeing the response to what has become the norm for AAA pricing in the PC and console industry on iOS. The good news about the pricing is, you can buy the unlock for 50% off up till January 4th.

Hmmmm, I dunno. My PC is too old so I never bought it, so this is tempting. Seems like a game that could be full of bugs in a translation to iPads.

Aspyr also handles the OS version of the game, so I’m thinking the risk is low for this iOS version.

Ahh, OK, cool.

Well, if you do happen to find any bugs, please message me.

Will do!!

Kind of torn on Civ VI. Only had a chance to play briefly. They let you play 60 turns free. I love this idea. It lets you get a feel for the game before you drop… $60 on an IOS game. I think it’s important to note that this appears to be a full fledged Civ experience and not the very basic dumbed down Civ Revolutions style game. It is very very pricey for an IOS game. I don’t mind paying for a full game on IOS but $60 is a bit steep when the PC version is seen on sale for $30.

Is it 60 turns then you can’t play any more ever unless you unlock (as opposed to you can play 60 turns then your game won’t continue, but you could theoretically start a new game and play 60 turns with a new game)?

Also @Oscuros, mentioned upstream is that it’s 50% off to unlock until January 4, so it seems it’s the same price as on PCs for now.

Ahh I didn’t see that it was on sale. I’ve only been messing with it intermittently while working. So far it seems like the full fledged Civ game that I’ve always wanted on my Ipad. Going to give it a real go tonight. I think that I’m in for $30. Not sure on the 60 turns thing yet.

Got through 60 turns the game ends of course but you may start another,

Interested in your overall thoughts if you do get it. I am STILL playing the hell out of Through the Ages, albeit SP only.

Looking at the lack of AI in the base game, I don’t think there should be any issue with this iOS port? Curious to hear about it as well.
Not going to try it myself: freeing up 5GB of space sounds like an insane difficulty puzzle for me!

Jade Empire is only 99 cents currently. Haven’t played it myself, but hear it is quite good.

Dang, man, suddenly there are a lot of games I need to play. The release of Finding Paradise made me return to To the Moon, then Civ 6 (which I haven’t played) came out on the iPad and a friend gifted me the top 5 games on my Steam wishlist.

Who wants to babysit my kids for 6 weeks?

(Just kidding, I would miss them too much.)