iOS Games Thread

A word of warning, as the game has been available for a couple of years in Japan: tons of expansion packs have been released there, and they are particularly heavily priced (10$ most of them). Careful to not get too addicted to it!

The various IAP adds to about US$30+

The Japanese one is a bit ahead.

Screen%20Shot

That is only costly set of IAP.

I am playing a Close Combat clone called Firefight on my iPad which seems pretty awesome. Scratches that itch till the Bloody First comes out.

That’s from Sean O’Connor, responsible for the marvelous Slay, one of my favourite pre-indie casual strategy-flavoured games!
He made an iOS version of Slay as well, which is serviceable.

Oh, actually, I just found out that both Slay and Firefight have been on Steam for a couple of years.

It’s crazy I haven’t seen these games before. I’m quite impressed that an indie developer pulled these off.

You bastages! I’ve now been pulled down the Sean O’Connor rabbit hole. I vaguely recalled playing many of his games on the PC years ago but never knew he made the jump to mobile.

I really appreciate that not only does he seem to stress competent AI in his many games, but AIs with their own personalities.

Is it just a clone? Because a lot of the artwork looks bloody identical and it has the exact same tank pathing problems as CC.

Honestly I have no idea. However it feels like a budget CC in the sense that it is a lot more limited, but it is presently the best of kind on iOS as far as I can tell.

Does anyone get any sound when playing the game? I get osund on other things but not this game and do not see any sound controls on settings

From the settings menu (bottom option on the title screen, top left gear shaped button anywhere in the game):

Oh boy that looks awesome. Except for the cartoon jiggly turrets and the fact the tanks shoot 2x4’s instead of rounds ;)

Leave us casuals be!

grognard

(I’m in a graphical mood this morning)

@Left_Empty (Dungeon Maker)

I have BGM & SFX and both are turned on.

The lower left button in Japanese in your pic actually says Decency Mode on my screen. Thought that was interesting.

Anyhow still no sound. Probably just as well so I don’t wake up my better half when I play in bed.

Thanks for the assist! Maybe a future iOS update will fix it. I do not want to uninstall and then install just in case I lose my progress.

There is a “cloud” button to the bottom left on the title screen that should let you save and restore a backup to the cloud.
Frankly, you are not losing much, I play mostly silent: the BGM are terribly obnoxious (I am guessing they are free license stuff), and the sound effect are just the chaotic mess you can expect from modern Asian gaming ;)

Sound’s fine on mine also though I’ve usually been turning it off.

Well shit. Just noticed that Yggdrasil and Phantom Leader both died in the great ios10 purge.

Yeps. I hate keeping dead weight on my iPad, but then I’m afraid to remove them just due to that slim chance the devs might wake up and update them no matter how unlikely,

I tried playing Xenoshyft again, in light of some recent updates, and it’s… improving.

I have experienced a couple of bugs, always in the fighting phase. Unlike previously, you can now resume at the start of the fight phase (which could account to cheating, as the opposing deck isn’t randomized, but that’s another matter) to get around some lock-up strangeness. Not super elegant, but much less infuriating than losing all progress as before.
The game still needs to improve its display of phases and such in my opinion, and reading the horror stories about multiplayer on forums makes me think you shouldn’t play this online, but another year or two, and it should be ready for release!