iPhone 15 Announce Event - September 12 - USB-C Ahoy!

Speaking of e-ink

With the sudden, yet inevitable, switch to USB-C I will finally replace my venerable 8 Plus.

Haven’t watched it yet but eink was never released in that form factor for a very good reason.

I know some writers exult in a luddite sort of disconnected space where they’re faced with a terminal that really can’t do anything but write text. Problem is that monitor ain’t it, you can go to Instagram in black and white and get your DMs and whatever else people do on a monitor, it’s just a shitty laggy monochrome dithered experience overall.

I can’t think of a good use-case for an eink monitor that wouldn’t be improved by an eink tablet.

Hey guys, what noise does an e-pig make?

e-ink e-ink

$1,800 for a monochrome monitor is really kind of insane.

Maybe static displays in stores. The power consumption (and heat) would be absolutely minimal.

I think Kohl’s uses e-ink tags on their merchandise/shelves. But those are tiny.

Sounds like you’re saying it’s the perfect monitor to make something insane, more insane.

Presentation started 30 mins ago.

Apple Watch 9 and Ultra 2 announced. On sale today and available next Friday.

They’re talking about the new iPhone 15 now. Dynamic Island for everyone!

I always wonder how hellish these presenters are as managers.

I got my nice new watch processor, so everything else is gravy. It’s too bad they didn’t add any new features besides the brightness and on-device processing, though. The finger double tap was already in there as an accessibility feature.

USB C on the new phones?

Almost certainly yes, but not announced yet.

Ahh, here we go. Yep, USB-C official.

Also announced AirPods Pro 2nd Gen with USB-C. And USB-C EarPods.

They mentioned 4k 60hz video out. That’s HDMI 2 delivery over USB-C?

LOL, “the most Pro iPhone we’ve ever created.”

Looks to have been fully leaked, sadly, but the changes are generally OK. I do like the use of titanium, because iphones are too damn heavy. Wish they’d use ceramic or something on the rear too, no reason for that to be glass.

Border looks identical.

Jesus Christ. It’s made of titanium. We get it.

If the rear wasn’t glass, I would have stopped using a case years ago. The iPhone front glass has been nearly invulnerable to cracks for a couple years. Scratches not so much because it’s softer material, but cases I buy don’t cover the front anyway.

Following cell phone titan Xiaomi (and the Mars Rover) into the titanium arena.

My iPhone feels heavy for its size-- hopefully that is changing now.

Real pisser is non-pro iPhones still don’t get high refresh rates. This is in a world where I purchased a $30 smartphone on Prime Day which went to 90Hz. No joke, thirty dollars.

Eh, I’ll take battery life over refresh rate.

The pro iPhones have LTPO displays that vary between 1Hz and 120Hz, which makes them use less energy than the non-pro ones too. Cheap android phones don’t support LTPO but they offer a switch so you can stick to 60Hz if you want. It’s a win/win, other than the bill of materials on LTPO-- and high refresh panels without LTPO are extremely cheap.