iPhone - how to have text messages automatically sent to email

My wife just swapped her Galaxy IIIs for an iPhone 5s. Basically, she has an iPad Mini I gave her for Christmas and she loves it (Thanks to the QT3 Hardware Consulting Group her for coaching me through that!) and wants to be able to sync everything, plus she was having some odd problems with her Galaxy. Anyway - on her Galaxy, she had an app that automatically forwarded her texts to her gmail account - it even put them in an SMS folder. For various reasons that was something that was extremely useful for her. I am trying to find something similar for the iPhone, but so far unsuccessful.

So - QT3 Hardware Consulting Group (QT3 HCG!) - any ideas/suggestions? Criteria, needs to be done automatically.

Thanks

Pretty sure you can’t do that, and definitely not automatically.

Only on jailbroken phones.

Yeah, I just was reading, lots of apps that will let her do it but they appear to only work on jailbroken iPhones. And that is apparently becoming more challenging with the latest iOS versions. :(

I get making it hard to export or read her text messages remotely via spyware, but I would have thought there would be a way she could legitimately do it with, say, her Apple ID and password.

It’s too late to jailbreak. The last version was 7.06 and Apple stopped signing that version.

With iMessage already syncing across all of your (Apple) devices, and iOS 8 now adding support for non-iMessage (SMS) texts, would that meet her needs?

I was just thinking about that. Probably not, but I’d say there’s slightly more hope now than there was a few hours ago.

For those not keeping up with WWDC news, iOS 8 and Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) have a new feature that allows your iPad or Mac to seamlessly send and receive texts and phone calls (not just iMessages and Facetime calls) from the number on your phone. Your carrier isn’t directly sending SMS/voice calls to those devices, but with some behind the scenes work from iCloud, your phone and Mac or iPad are working together to make it seem that way.

I was only skimming the coverage, it was mentioned around the same time they were talking about “Hand-off” features that do something to make your devices more aware of each other. So I’m not sure if the cross device calls/SMS feature is limited to when you’re using them in the same physical location (or same wi-fi network, or something, no idea). And I’m assuming that’s not the kind of feature they’re going to be opening up to other software, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if they also try to keep things pretty well encrypted or secure.

But the possibility of someone making some kind of clever hack that would allow your Mac to capture those SMSs exists, or at least more than the basically zero possibility of accomplishing it with just your phone.

So if you upgrade to iOS 8, have a Mac running Yosemite, this thing works the way I’m guessing, and someone hacks together the right utility, there’s a slim chance you might get what you want sometime in the next year or so Jeff!

I understood SMS support to be a server-supported iMessage feature, not a Continuity feature. So it shouldn’t be location-specific. I could be wrong, though.

I could try it out later today.

I thought “Continuity” was just the banner under which they were presenting these new features for iMessages as well as the other Hand-off stuff, but yeah, I was skipping back and forth between work and skimming coverage of the keynote online, so definitely possible I misunderstood.

Yeah, I’m not sure that will work. It probably makes no sense and don’t need to go into the details but she wants to be able to read her texts while away from her phone. For most people the idea of being away from your phone for any period of time is crazy, and being away from the phone but near your computer (a PC, not a mac) is lunacy, but that’s the basic need.

This may not be of any use to you, but Google Voice allows checking of SMS messages from a PC. If you guys have Sprint, you can tie your Sprint number to your Google Voice account, and that will allow her to send and receive from the PC.

The only shortcoming of this is that it doesn’t do MMS, and I have no idea how it would play out on Apple – I’m an Android guy, but I’m trying to help. :-)

This may not be of any use to you, but Google Voice allows checking of SMS messages from a PC. If you guys have Sprint, you can tie your Sprint number to your Google Voice account, and that will allow her to send and receive from the PC.

The only shortcoming of this is that it doesn’t do MMS, and I have no idea how it would play out on Apple – I’m an Android guy, but I’m trying to help. :-)

MMS comes straight to your phone, I believe, with GV on an iPhone.

It’s been so long since someone without an iPhone sent me an MMS.

edit: Actually, its been a long time since anyone sent me an MMS instead of through other chat/messaging/photo sharing apps.

I figured. It’s the same way with my phone.

Just tell her if she was using a Mac, she could do it :)

The Mac doesn’t get non-iMessage texts or MMS though, right? I don’t recall ever getting those on my Mac mini.

With the announcements yesterday, the Mac will get the non-iMessage SMS and MMS, but it seems like it is going through your phone first.

And, you will probably need Yosemite and iOS8 for that to work.

Seems like Apple just killed this $4 app.

Not exactly sure about that, but maybe I just missed part of the keynote. All notifications aren’t synced between iOS8 and Yosemite, are they? For everything other than text and phone calls, Notfyr would still be providing something iOS8 and Yosemite don’t.

Yeah, right now it appears that the only way to do what she wants is with Spyware, and there are a couple that don’t require jailbreaking. She logs onto a control panel with her apple ID and password and all her info is there. I’m actually curious as to how they do this from a purely technical point of view though, on a non jail-broken phone, and while the 3 I’ve seen have some legit positive reviews from legit outlets, curious as to why she needs to log on with her apple id and password.