IPhone SE release imminent?

Try Settings -> Safari -> Page Zoom

Also look under Accesability under settings, lots of stuff there to help with that.

Just to be clear, you can increase the text size on most sites with the controls directly above the “Show Reader View” button without having to use the reader mode.

Apologies if that’s what you’ve been doing already.

Thanks for the info folks. Between those tips and updating to iOS 13.6, I see a big improvement.

This is the newest iphone thread so I’ll drop this here. We’re switching carriers since we can all get new iphone 11s free and my current carrier can’t/won’t match the offer and is kinda janky anyway in our area. The 11s are upgrades from 7s and an 8. Will my apple ID automatically port everything over like pics and whatnot? And will my saved un/pws that are tied to my thumbprint on my 7 be transferred? I loathe changing phones (hence my 4 year old 7) and this sort of stuff is the main reason why. My 7 was my first iphone though so I’m hoping that at least some of my stuff will just be in the cloud and thus transfer over to my new phone once I tie it to my apple ID.

This is a very incomplete, quick answer, but you’re going to want to save a backup to iCloud and restore that backup on the new phone; just logging in with the same Apple ID won’t bring over as much as that will.

The backup will bring over your photos, I can’t remember if passwords saved in your iOS keychain will come with it or not (there was a time they definitely would not transfer, but I think with an encrypted could backup they might now).

If you want all your passwords and settings to transfer, take an encrypted backup with iTunes on your computer and setup the new phone using that. ICloud won’t get everything. It isn’t encrypted so Apple doesn’t include passwords outside the encrypted keyring.

I like my answers like I like my women…incomplete and quick. So thanks to @WhollySchmidt and @stusser!

I thought iTunes was just Apple Music now. So it still has all the backup uses it did back in the day? Iiiiiiiiinteresting. Of course the last time I used iTunes for backup was probably 10 years ago and it kinda sucked. But it’s worth a shot for sure.

EDIT: Oh, will the iTunes implementation be a problem on Windows 10? I recall my previous issues with iTunes was as much a problem with the Windows version as iTunes itself. But it has been ages.

You should just be able to set up your new phones using the old ones—-everything will transfer directly over. That’s assuming you don’t need to turn in your old phones first.

That’s the easiest way. Support page here.

@Stepsongrapes Nice! We will be sending the old ones in, but not til after the new ones are setup.

Why do carriers not match competitors offers? I’m talking about the big 3 major carriers. Like I said, we got new 11s (of various flavors) and our monthly will be cheaper too, all for porting our numbers. Oh well.

@LeeAbe Great link, thanks everyone!

I went and looked it up and iCloud backups are encrypted now (I don’t think they always were).

@lostcawz here’s a good explanation of the differences between backing up to iCloud vs. to a local machine:

And here’s a page with specific info on what an encrypted backup allows:

ICloud backups are indeed encrypted in travel and at rest, but Apple has the keys to decrypt them, so they don’t include passwords. If you want your passwords, you need to use iTunes. On MacOS, I believe it’s integrated into the Finder or something now.

I don’t know if that new Quick Start includes passwords or not. It’s all local, so it very well may be the best choice. Definitely don’t use an ICloud backup though.

I’m pretty sure it does. My recollection is that it’s essentially a seamless transition from old phone to new, with passwords, cookies, browser histories and states, everything. One of the things I love most about the modern iPhone implementation. I wish Windows PCs would have something equivalent.

Ok. I’ll prob try to install iTunes on my win10 box and do it that way. The links earlier seemed to indicate that iCloud backups were encrypted thus would include passwords but it wasn’t clear to me if that was true or not. So if I can get iTunes working on my PC that seems like the best way. Not a huge deal if I have to redo some passwords but the easier the better is fine with me.

EDIT: Rereading this and the various links and I’m realizing Quick Start is different from the icloud option, right? QS is the two devices, in hand, on the same wifi network? And it looks like the various saved un/pw all transfer on it. Probably. Think I’ll try that one on the kids phone first since it has less stuff to transfer but it does have a couple of un/pw to test.

Regardless, thanks all for the help!

Yes, Quick Start is different than the iCloud (and the iTunes) options. It’s a really easy and intuitive way to do it. You turn on the new phone, it tells you to bring the old phone in range, and then you just let them do their thing for a bit. Once done, the new phone should (hopefully!) be essentially a clone of your old phone.

Yep give quick start a shot.

Quick Start working great! Typing this from new phone as it’s downloading the apps in the background. Thanks a ton.

Enjoy, going from a 7/8 to an 11 is going to be a nice upgrade.

Thanks again everyone. So far the new phones have been great. Getting used to the top of the screen wedge thingy finally. Pairing my Apple Watch took forever though. Just a major pita that took over two hours total. But I got it done finally. Otherwise all pretty easy and painless.