IPod Nano vs Generic MP3 player

Given the one caveat that my music collection is MP3 formatted, why would I buy a 1GB iPod Nano for $200, when I can get a generic SanDisk or something for under $100.

They appear to do the same thing but the Nano looks cooler.

Points at nose, points at Rob, points at nose

Accessories.

Well, for one thing, the nano is 2 gb. And the 250 dollar one is 4 gigs.

“User Friendly”

Um…uh…it’s cool…and…stuff…

Actually, I was planning on buying one of the Creative Zen Touch models due to its extensive feature set, but since I won my iPod Nano I ain’t complaining.

The idea of paying more for the player to gain access to accessories, which I must then purchase separately anyway, is bananas. Anyway, what accessories? Looking at it from a generic MP3 player-need perspective, what does the iPod nano have that is unavailable for the competition?

At my local Staples this Black Friday morning, the generic grey-ass Belkin cassette player adapter was $10, the one made of white plastic was $16.99.

Mea culpa, but comparable sizes remain more expensive.

Scare quotes acknowledged and agreed with.

We could just put it to you like this.

The iPod for most people is worth paying extra for. Itunes just rocks as a music transfer program and I really like it for management as well. I have not found a single player yet that works as good as the Ipod and is just easy to use.

It also looks good! Style Points ++

If you don’t get the iPod, you can continue to be that guy who posts to message boards about how he’s considering getting an iPod, then proceeds to talk about why the iPod is overpriced.

I have a 40GB Zen Touch. It’s definitely a better deal than the iPod, but yesterday when I turned my player on, the hard drive had mysteriously blanked. I had to put 8500 songs back on there again, though granted it was all at about 1 song a second. If this thing outright broke, I’m not sure whether I’d cave and get a Pod or just some alternative. I mean the Zen Xtra (60GB) is just $280 on Zip Zoom Fly. Throw in a Creative warranty if you need to and that beats an iPod.

I have the 5gb Rio Carbon. Cost me £90. Current model is 6gb Pearl costs £110. Sound, size, and ease of use all pretty good for me, im well happy with it.

The new Sony 6gb walkman is nice, I love the OLED display/case. £145 and just released here.

4gb nanopod is £180-£200.

OK, got the SanDisk. Works fine, but guess what? The interface is annoying, with buttons in weird places and rewind/forward that double as change track buttons. But it works fine. I haven’t decided the iPod is overpriced, only that in this area of my life, I’m not interested in a 100% premium for herdshine and the better user interface and software.

But I’m a bit odd in that respect anyway. I just have all my music in a plain folder, double click to play. Playlists are too complicated for me.

Also, playingwithknives: About the biggest thing I do not miss about England is getting hammered on consumer electronic pricing. $350 iPod Nanos! Wow.

I think the Shuffle is the comparable 1G device better used in price comparisons. But lacking a screen (I’m still amused that that is advertised as a feature) can easily result in a shopper eliminating it from consideration. I looked at the Shuffle as a memory-fob that plays music, and in that light it was acceptable (and at the time within a few dollars of dedicated storage devices of the same capacity sold alongside it).

You know, it never crossed my mind. I must say, I haven’t even looked at the screen on the player yet – it struck me as a bit superfluous from the get-go. The shuffle might have been a good alternative if I had thought of it earlier.

Anyway, this is the one I got, for $50
http://itreview.belproject.com/?itemid=256
If anyone’s interested, they are at Staples for the rest of the day…

512 for 50 right?

The idea of paying more for the player to gain access to accessories, which I must then purchase separately anyway, is bananas. Anyway, what accessories? Looking at it from a generic MP3 player-need perspective, what does the iPod nano have that is unavailable for the competition? [/quote]
Selection. Custom accessories. You buy an iPod (which you didn’t) and you have a wide variety of manufacturers to buy cases, custom iPod solutions (smaller, work better), and never have to worry that something will come out that you can’t use.

Rather than the standard Belkin car kit which you got – I got an ipod cradle that fits my iPod like a glove, speaker systems that you drop the iPod into that also function as docks, numerous battery extenders, millions of cases, and just go look.

Sorry, should have said. Yeh, I figured I could deal with 512 at at that price. ~100 songs is pushing it, but that’s damn cheap for brick and mortar, and I’m stepping up from “burning a new CD every day,” so it’s a huge advance all the same.

The pull of all that is compelling. A little freakish. A part of me wants to take the SanDisk back and just fork out the extra for the Apple. It’s a whole world of interesting crap to explore. But that’s the point, isn’t it? Take the customer’s desire for a better music solution, a little bit of sugar, and then distract them with a hundred varieties of cocaine to sprinkle on their cornflakes.

The iPod won’t care about your folders and will only look at the id3 tag info for organizing the music - I’ve spent some quality time doing data entry in iTunes… woooo fun!

The pull of all that is compelling. A little freakish. A part of me wants to take the SanDisk back and just fork out the extra for the Apple. It’s a whole world of interesting crap to explore. But that’s the point, isn’t it? Take the customer’s desire for a better music solution, a little bit of sugar, and then distract them with a hundred varieties of cocaine to sprinkle on their cornflakes.[/quote]

The way I see it, the iPod plugs into everything… XBox 360 even. If there’s some gadget that does something cool, it’ll support the iPod, and… maybe other stuff.

You’re absolutely right though. Functionality – not that special. It’s the cocaine sprinkles that make the thing.