Is a re-release of GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas worthy of its own thread?

I’m not sure, let’s find out! I’ll probably buy it, because I really enjoyed those games. The press release says there will be updates to how the games look and feel, but not a lot of details as to what exactly that means. But it says it’s coming this year so we should be finding out shortly.

Is a re-release of GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas worthy of its own thread?

Only if we can complain loudly about no re-release of GTA1 and 2. THE BEST GTAs.

By all means, complain away. I do still enjoy the 2D GTA games, including Chinatown Wars, but they probably suffer less from age, being pixel-based. The 3D games had some pretty rough graphics and controls (the shooting kinda sucked). Curious to see what gets improved with this re-release.

To make way for the collection, Rockstar has also announced that it’s removing existing versions of each game from digital stores next week.

FYI

This kind of phrasing confuses me. Will we retain the versions we may have bought previously, or will this new edition supersede them? Or does this just mean that the older versions will no longer be available for sale, but still be in your library if you had already bought it?

Just an announcement, no screenshots to show us what the upgrade looks like, I guess.

I wonder how much of the original soundtracks they can license again?

This is almost always what it means.

Can’t wait for an updated version of the shit mini-chopper mission from Vice City.

Ah, shit, here we go again.

Sorry. It was just obligatory.

Exactly. Older 3d games always age poorly compared to even older 2d games. I can’t see the value of updating these old GTA games that have been obsoleted many times over by newer releases from Volition, Ubi, and, of course, Rockstar. Nostalgia, I guess? Archival value, perhaps. I can’t think of a genre that’s evolved more rapidly in the last 20 years than open world action. Hey Rockstar, cancel these re-releases so you can get the ps5 version of Red Dead 2 out even faster.

FTFY!

Hear, hear!

I’d love another GTA, too, but I went with ps5 rdr2 because I don’t see how rockstar can top gta5, especially without Dan Houser. We’re living in a reality that defies parody, so future gta games that want to marry the shoot-or-run-over-anyone gameplay of the series with a story that works at all face a stiff challenge. Plus, I still have a lot of rdr2 to play, and I’m tired of waiting for the current gen upgrade.

This is going to be easy money for Rockstar. I’m sure there are some improvements, as they’ve listed in the release, but I’ll be surprised if it’s significant. I can’t see them pulling developers off GTA 6 or any other new projects they’re working on to get this out the door.

The last GTA I played was IV, halfway through the Lost + Damned expansion, never got to Gay Tony. I then had my first child, long hiatus, switched to a different computer, and when I tried to get back to it, Games for Windows wasn’t working anymore, and my amazon digital copy refused to open. So… I’d love to revisit these games, and play V… having them all in the same place would be great, with all the expansions.

Behold, your remaster!

It looks awesome but oof that price. $60 full price. Too expensive for my taste even though I love, love the games. I’ve waited years for a remaster, I’ll happily wait a few more for a deep sale on this one.

It’s at once better and worse than I was expecting.

I’m assuming they took down all the mods for these older GTA games because they made the games look even better than this and they didn’t want that competition out there?

Man, that looks weird. I mean not bad weird. Not exactly. Anyway I’ll buy it, how could I not?

Oh hey also, looks like GTA 3 will be coming to PlayStation Now on Dec 7 and GTA San Andreas will be coming to Xbox Game Pass on Nov 11.

Nice! Day one San Andreas on Game Pass.

Vice City is only one where I didn’t play the story yet (I played hours and hours and hours of activities after my friends had already unlocked everything by playing through the story first). So I’m looking forward to that campaign with Ray Liotta. But that can wait as I revisit San Andreas first.

Any word on the soundtrack? Will the games feature all the original licensed music?