Is Arrested Development the best thing on TV?

From Futurama:

Fry: But that’s not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared. […] TV audiences don’t want anything original. They wanna see the same thing they’ve seen a thousand times before.

I do have to say this season seems to have lost a bit of the magic… The Theron/Little Britain stuff definitely lacked the panache of seasons past.

So perhaps at least it’ll go out on a high note.

I agree. The Julia Roberts/Pretty Woman think was pretty awesome though.

I suppose ranting and raving about the dissappearance of quality television will do us no good.

Why oh why oh why oh why are we plagued with such idiots running networks and, for that matter, watching TV.

At least it has a 2 season run.

Kinda hard to do when television is currently creating some of the best drama that I’ve ever seen.

Fox makes fun cartoony shows though.

<sigh> Fux has a nack for cancelling some of the most brilliant stuff.

I’m sure Fox would love to keep the show, and everyone really digs it but it’s the most expensive half-hour show on TV to produce and no one watches it. Do you really expect them to keep it going?

So with the cancellation, I guess the answer to this thread’s title question is “Not anymore”.

I’m afraid it was no longer a contendor once season 3 began before the cancellation even happened.

It’s just gotten too wacky for my taste, although the Godzilla stuff was pretty funny.

The show’s greatest weakness has always been when they rely too heavily on sitcom tropes. The show dropped ten notches for me when Michael started doing the incredibly trite “lying to my loved ones and then having to go through conniptions to try and justify that lie” stuff that’s been a tired staple ever since Ralph Kramden told Alice he was “working late” when he was actually going bowling.

One of the brilliant things about The Office (both versions) is that the characters who try this are immediately busted and revealed to be selfish idiots.

I don’t watch AD and haven’t followed this thread, but 13 pages can’t be wrong!

Arrested Development seasons 1 and 2 DVDs for $32 + s/h (click on the “Buy both and save” button)

I have a question.

Will the profits from the DVD sales have any influence in whether we can keep the show around?

I may be wrong, but didn’t DVD sales of The Family Guy prompt Fox to revive that show?

-Tom, proud and saddened owner of Arrested Development DVDs

The problem is that AD cost more than most 1-hour scripted dramas. Sales of the DVD would have to be huge to justify continuing it. And the show only has, like, 2.5 million viewers.

The only thing that can save it now is an internet petition!

While it came too late to save the show, DVD sales of the Firefly set helped convince 'Versal to fund Serenity, so who knows what might happen?

While it came too late to save the show, DVD sales of the Firefly set helped convince 'Versal to fund Serenity, so who knows what might happen?[/quote]

Too bad I already saw the Arrested Development movie

While it came too late to save the show, DVD sales of the Firefly set helped convince 'Versal to fund Serenity, so who knows what might happen?[/quote]

Too bad I already saw the Arrested Development movie[/quote]

Not even close.

See, the danger of not having real TV and having to rely on downloading bitorrents – not that I do that, mind you, as I may very well be speaking hypothetically here – is that you might not have realized that there were two episodes back-to-back on a certain week. So maybe you just downloaded one of them and were then surprised to find while browsing through your girlfriend’s Tivo that, hey, there’s an Arrested Development here that I haven’t seen.

Man, am I glad I didn’t miss this one. I suppose Notapusy was just prior to Mr. F? Awesome episode.

Michael: “Annabel, because she’s bell-shaped…belle of the ball, that’s what I meant.”

Narrator: “George Sr. chose to escape in the one that was bullet-proof.”

Tobias: “Go ahead, have sex with her. Get in there and have yourself some sex right now.”

I am so going to miss this show. It’s just too too good for TV.

-Tom

Keep Hope Alive!

HOPEFUL DEVELOPMENT? Executive producer Brian Grazer telling CNN Headline News’ Showbiz Tonight he’s in talks with other networks about picking up Arrested Development after Fox axed the offbeat Emmy-winning comedy from its schedule.

I feel like any other network besides Fox could get this show some better ratings.