Is Arrested Development the best thing on TV?

I’m not a fan of Todd Margaret, but that being said, Will Arnett’s scenes were hilarious.

Community owes more the Spaced than anything else really.

Spaced, Fawlty Towers, The Honeymooners, HaMis’ada HaGdola and Big Bang Theory all owe AD a little something.

Except WKRP, which clearly took it’s cues from Empty Nest.

That wasn’t an issue for me. I had never seen Mr. Show and was relatively unfamiliar with Cross as an actor. I had heard a little of his standup, but I mostly knew him from bit roles in Scary Movie and Just Shoot Me.

His hotel whore scene is the best scene in the first 4 episodes - i can’t bring myself to watch more.

Just as another data point, I find Will Arnett’s stuff in this show (Todd Margaret) to be forced and mostly unfunny.

Which show? The only unfunny character in the whole of AD was Maeby. Or however you pronounce it. I thought Cross was hysterical, from the entendre jokes to his dressing as the British nanny and jumping off the balcony with the umbrella, or him trying to have sex with his wife. One of the strengths of the show is that they can do long set up jokes, puns, physical comedy, sexual comedy, and even just funny jokes. Nothing was off limit to them . . . though I don’t remember much toilet humor.

I can’t wait until Archer comes back on.

“Babysit me!”

The first three seasons of this show are being removed from Netflix on April 1st. So I have 9 days if I want to finally watch this show, and that’s if I include today.

I just watched the pilot again. That’s the only episode I saw completely back when it first aired on Fox. It’s funny that I recognize all the actors from other shows now. Back then I only recognized David Cross, Jason Bateman, and Jeffrey Tambor. Now I recognize his twin sister from being the boss in Better Off Ted, I recognize his brother as Tony Hale from Veep, and of course I recognize Will Arnett and Michael Cera as well.

It’s a monumental task though. Season 1 is 22 episodes, Season 2 is 18, and Season 3 is 13. So that’s 53 episodes, and I watched one today. That leaves 52 episodes over 9 days. So I need to watch 6 episodes a day. That’s possible if I skip some Mass Effect Andromeda time and some reading time and some activities over the weekend.

So I think I’m going to go for it. Why not let a deadline force me to finally get to a show I always meant to get to?

I can think of few things sadder than missing out on early Arrested Development because of a Mass Effect game.

-Tom

Just buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays. It’s a show that rewards repeated viewing, and as Tom said at the time, it’s the best thing on TV.

I ended up watching the first three episodes last night.

So far, I’m not feeling it. But then, it took me some time to get into the groove on Veep as well, and then it turned into one of my favorite shows. So hopefully that will also happen here.

The only thing I’m really worried about is that because of Tony Hale and the similar documentary style of filming, I can’t help but compare the show with Veep in my head. That’s something you guys didn’t have to deal with back in 2004.

Sure, but I love Veep now and had to deal with the same situation; just reversed.

I’m on Season 2 Episode 7 now I believe. Overall, it’s not a show that makes me laugh out loud very often, but it does make me smile a lot.

One thing the show does a LOT is to do clever word play jokes. The narrator will say something with one meaning, and then it will be interpreted with another meaning and show up on the screen. What I find very amusing in the long run of watching the show is how all those one-joke setups lead to permanent things on the show. So there’s a joke in the pilot about “Maybe”, which turns out to be Tobius and Lindsay’s daughter, but of course, that’s her name throughout the show. Same with all the other double meanings used once throughout the show. It adds some nice layers for long-time viewers because there’s so many things in the show that were originally setups for a single joke, but then they stay constant and remind you later of that original joke.

It’s the most unique thing about the show, and I’m glad they realize it and use it so often.

Oh man, I laugh so much watching Arrested Development. I don’t know a show that’s given me bigger laughs. When they introduced the character Bob Loblaw I laughed about that off and on for a good week when I recalled it. Seriously, I was worried I looked like a crazy person, because I probably did.

And they sneaked some dirty jokes by too. I loved the wordplay on the name of the yacht, the Seaward. When Michael was telling someone, maybe GOB, that they had to get rid of the Seaward and their mom overhears them and says she’ll leave when she’s good and ready - I had to pause the show for laughing.

One of my favorite moments, bar none. I’m snerking just thinking about it.

Oh man, wait till you reach some of the callbacks that span multiple seasons. It’s a crazily self-referential show

No touching!

Probably my favorite all time show. I’m sad it’s moving off Netflix, I was hoping A) to watch it again some day without having to own it on disc (what a PITA) and B) there would be a final season on Netflix, but I guess if it’s falling off on the 1st, that’s not going to happen.

There’s a lot of Fox shows that are dropping off on April 1st. Remember the first three seasons were on Fox. So whatever deal they had with Fox appears to be expiring. It shouldn’t interfere with their ability to get the last season done when everyone’s schedules align.