Is Arrested Development the best thing on TV?

That doesn’t sound good. Thanks.

Here’s the interview:

I read it on GQ or Esquire and it was super cringey.

Ali Shawkat only got a line in before the men started making excuses for Tambour.

Yeah, for a while today on Twitter, I noticed Arrested Development, Jeffrey Tambor, Jennifer Walter, and Ali Shawkat were all trending, but I didn’t get a chance to read the cringey thing until just now.

Bateman should know that if he has to say “Not to excuse what happened, but…” multiple times in his spiel it’s time to shut up about it.

It reads like Bateman, Hale, and Cross are all scared that Tambor’s future in the show will get ruined over something (this incident on the Arrested set) he has apologized and been forgiven for, but then end up making things worse.

I wonder what would have happened to Christian Bale if his verbal abuse tape came out this year.

Shit shitty shit shit. Why do actors I grow fond of often turn out to be sleazeballs?

My best wishes to anyone who was hurt by this dude. Why can’t dudes not be shit? Sigh.

Everyone is shit. There are no heroes. We’ll all be dead soon.

“I’ve made a huge mistake.”

Just wanted to highlight this bit from the interview:

I realize this is an awkward question to ask with Jeffrey in the room. But do you have reservations about working with him again?

WALTER Of course not. No. I’ve just given it up. And you know, there’s something really, really freeing about that now. I realize that. I don’t want to walk around with anger. I respect him as an actor. We’ve known each other for years and years and years. No, no, no, no. Of course, I would work with him again in a heartbeat.

This whole thing feels like overhearing a huge blowup between the neighbors who forgot their window was open. Clearly there’s some things going on here that they need to work through that’s probably none of our business. I hope they’re able to sort it out, and in the meantime I’m going to enjoy Arrested Development when the next season goes up.

Yeah, this is done now.

Oh, for heaven’s sake.

I listened to the audio (finally) and it’s not all that bad. It is true they interrupted and speculatively apologized when they should have just let her talk, though. Listening, it’s a skill…

How is it possible they weren’t prepared and fully trained to deal with those questions? It’s not like Tambor’s fall was exactly low-profile.

Yup. I listened as well, and while it’s not terrible, Bateman and the others came off badly. The whole time I was thinking, “Jeez guys. Just shut up and let her have her say.”

I hope Tambor’s apologies have been sincere. I hope Walter has sincerely forgiven him. And I hope this is just a reasonable PR response to Bateman’s boneheaded interview, and not the end of the show.

But yeah, man, how did Bateman not realize what he was doing? Even if you believe the worst version of all of this, in the most cynical interpretation it’s still a major screw-up to tank the show’s press like this in something they all should’ve been prepared for.

Bateman seems to realize that he made a huge mistake:

Bateman has since apologized for his comments during the interview. “I was so eager to let Jeffrey know that he was supported in his attempt to learn, grow and apologize that I completely underestimated the feelings of the victim, another person I deeply love—and she was sitting right there!” he wrote on Twitter. “I’m incredibly embarrassed and deeply sorry to have done that to Jessica. This is a big learning moment for me. I shouldn’t have tried so hard to mansplain, or fix a fight, or make everything okay. I should’ve focused more on what the most important part of it all is—there’s never any excuse for abuse, in any form, from any gender. And the victim’s voice needs to be heard and respected. Period.”

We don’t have the full story, but the bit about Walter sounds like he yelled at her and was a huge dick.

That’s very different than the sexual abuse allegations, which are that he walked up to a woman standing up against a wall, put his feet on her feet so she couldn’t move, and started thrusting at her, making contact with his penis. That’s some deviant shit right there. Now maybe he thought it was a joke or whatever, but I guess she wasn’t laughing.

Back to the show for a moment to correct myself: I think season 4 always had some blue-screened shots. Saw an old review that mentioned it too. It’s really weird that they did it, but it doesn’t come up much.

I haven’t watches season 4 since it first aired, so it’s really hard to pick out specific differences between the original version and the remix. It’s still a very odd season though. Feels like the remix is doing a lot more extensive recapping every couple of episodes because the effort to put things in order still means a lot of jumping around to the small groups of characters.

And I still get freaked out by the work Portia de Rossi had done. Yikes.