Is Congress finally waking up?

Here we go: listing of what he’s said vs. what he votes for

Again, I’m not getting your point. The article you linked, and the general sense I get from your comments in this thread, all seem to be conclude that Hagel is some sort of administration lapdog because he votes extremely conservatively. If that’s is your point, it doesn’t compute.

You do realize that it’s quite possible to be a principled conservative and think Iraq is a mistake?

If he thinks it’s a mistake, why does he always vote with the administration on Iraq? He authorized the war, doesn’t regret his vote, has always lined up with the administration, and so on. This is literally his first vote against the administration’s policies on Iraq.

Does he? Exactly how much has congress voted on Iraq? Is there some bi-weekly “let’s stay in Iraq” vote that congress takes to re-authorize troops? I must have missed hearing about that one.

“Voting with the administration” and “Voting with the administration on Iraq” are two different things.

Doesn’t regret his vote? He’s made at least one public statement that I can recall saying otherwise. I believe you are thinking of Hillary Clinton.

And again, I have to point out that he’s a conservative senator. So yes, his views will match up with the administrations on a ton of issues. That doesn’t mean he’s being a hypocrite in criticizing Iraq. It sounds to me like you’ve mentally made a good guy/bad guy split along party lines and just can’t conclude that Senator Hagel could somehow be genuine in his criticism of Iraq because he falls on the bad guy side of that line.

I didn’t say he’s a hypocrite, just that he talks a lot more than he does anything. Like Biden, he’s constantly yammering on about whatever but doesn’t pass shit - furthermore, in the areas where you’d expect it to matter, like Iraq or the other things historically he’s disagreed with the GOP on, he lines right up to vote with them once the television cameras are off.