Is Disqus the worst thing in the history of the Internet?

Or is it actually the worst thing in human history?

Currently enraged by trying to deal with it on my phone. Since it extends the comment section instead of loading new pages for browsing more comments, the page gets slower and less responsive to scrolling. And if the window loses focus, it refreshes the whole thing, meaning I have to do a bunch of progressively-less responsive scrolling to get back where I was.

Designing comment software must be really challenging, because I have yet to find a single platform that isn’t a complete piece of shit in some way.

There are worse comment systems (many of which plain don’t work on mobile). Hard to imagine, I know, but…

Welcome to the club

I wish everyone would just license SB Nation’s tech and stop with the terrible Disqus system.

SBNation is the best I’ve seen. Love it.

I hate disqus…it seems microsoft has bought it, because you have to verify your email with Microsoft to log into disqus. It sucks.

Never used it, but can it be worse than Reddit? Omfg how can anyone use this? If you go to it on mobile, and don’t install their app (sorry, NFW) the site pesters the ***** out of you to download the app.

I still have no idea how anyone reads new posts in a thread. Almost impossible to keep track of the crappy nested posts without rereading the entire thread.

F****** Reddit. Worst forum ever. Sorry for threadjack.

I haven’t actually figured out how Reddit works yet. I.e. are thread replies listed chronologically, or by popularity? Etc.

Either/both.

Ya, I don’t get it.

There is nothing to get. You choose how threads get sorted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheoryOfReddit/comments/1y8rst/what_is_the_best_way_to_sort_top_best_new/

Replies on reddit posts are by default in reverse chronological order, and there’s a widget at the top that lets you change the sorting to a variety of things.

I have few complaints about reddit’s usability outside of mobile. I hate using reddit on mobile, regardless of the app/browser.

Edit: Wendelius beat me.

I use Baconreader which works quite nicely on mobile. I can’t really complain about usability or how it looks that way.

Oh a couple of the apps are OK for some things, for me, but I don’t enjoy casual browsing. Feels constraining, compared to the full desktop experience.