Is Gone Gold Gone?

I haven’t been able to open anything on their whole site in a couple days -are they having trouble , or are they in trouble?

Anybody know anything?

No, we’re just moving servers. Try the direct ip

http://216.127.78.116/

Thank God! I love that site. Oddly enough, I use it mainly for the weekly values. I NEVER buy a game without checking the value guide first. What a great feature. BTW, Warrior Kings and Baseball Mogul 2003 are both less than $10 at nothingbutsoftware.com right now. Add that if it isn’t there.

I really like GG as well, although sometimes it strains the boundaries of a gaming site when it turns into a “Rich’s health problems blog.”

Don’t get me wrong, I really wish Rich the best, and I’m always glad to hear when some problem is resolved or whatever, but it’s just a bit of an odd combo.

One minute he’s talking about Warcraft or something, the next minute he’s talking about his back.

CD Mag (Computer Games Online) used to be my favorite site until they went downhill. Then I discovered Gone Gold and it became my favorite by far – it’s my homepage. If Gone Gold goes then I’ve got nothing left.

Well, you’ll have us. :D

Yah, me too. I’d love to find another site with that sort of wide ranging news and forums - reading CGO everyday pretty much kept me up to speed on PC games. I’d love to find another site that kept me informed like that.

How funny – that what I use Qt3 for. :)

(Yes, it is my homepage, thank you very much…)

Unfortunately, the more popular a site becomes, the more morons it attracts. This is the first time this sort of behavior has happened over there and its by idiots who have no idea what a community spirit is about.

…and then you go and compound the problem by having an admin (see post by Goldchamp on this page) who has no idea how to moderate a forum. :roll:

Reading the entire thread and then his comment, just goes to show just how out of context it is.

And yet people still wonder why game devs don’t fucking care about posting online anymore - unless its within their domain and within the company line. I for one don’t plan on posting there anytime soon.

Oh well.

Just to go against the current, I generally don’t want developers posting online. Now thats not to say I don’t want them to post, I just don’t have some urber geek need to chat with them. Most have this idea they should recieve special treatment. Rather not deal with that.

As for gone gold… about a year ago (or less I forget) a bunch of us mods up and quit because we weren’t being allowed to restrict the flow of idiots on the board. (or at least their actions.) Rich got us to come back with promises of change, and hired others. However the truth is, nothing has changed. However that said I think the boards are how Rich & Andy wants them so I guess it isn’t my place to complain. Just seems silly to emulate Usenet when Usenet already exist. To me anyways.

Define most. Because I have yet to meet someone who falls under this criteria.

I for one, post and respond to queries about my games, wherever it is I happen to be. e.g. this thread which opened this morning on GG and which, at 8:05am. On a Sunday. I was responding to. Its part of my job description and community service I suppose. You can’t escape that.

HOWEVER, it is this very same exposure that leads to the rubbish that ensues. For example the closed thread (which Jason rightfully closed) above which started much like the new thread above and ended up being something else. The pattern is clear and it has nothing to do with whether or not a person is a dev or not. Devs would rather not deal with that shit because most of them have a higher authority to answer to in fashioning and tailoring their responses - not to mentioning excercising restraint. I’m not one of them.

As for gone gold… about a year ago (or less I forget) a bunch of us mods up and quit because we weren’t being allowed to restrict the flow of idiots on the board. (or at least their actions.) Rich got us to come back with promises of change, and hired others. However the truth is, nothing has changed.

Yes, I remember that

However that said I think the boards are how Rich & Andy wants them so I guess it isn’t my place to complain.

Indeed

Just seems silly to emulate Usenet when Usenet already exist. To me anyways.

Exactly my point. The fact is, though there does exist some sort of code over at GG, to me - and I’ve been around awhile, even before I registered to start posting - it seems as if those with tenure can just do wtf they bloody well like. Why? because they are popular. Dunno.

That closed thread is a classic example of how some wanker (see that post by Goldchamp) is quick to point the finger when the thread itself is a clear indication of the flow of events. I mean, he comes up with But if you must bash everyone here who posts, I can and will ban you so fast your warp drive will hurt. . I was chuckling so hard at that twat’s obvious loose grip on contextual rhetoric, that I felt more embarrassed for him than I was pissed. But hey, every peon gets his day on the job I suppose. And you get what you pay for I guess. :roll:

And natuarally, it doesn’t stop there. Jason closes the thread, then someone creates a new one, which, on the second post, was starting to yet another Derek bashing thread before it too was locked.

I mean, some of this wankers have no concept of reality. I have never engage in any flamewar over there. Have posted, not only about my game but other games, even to the extent of defending other games (e.g. Freelancer) when that comes under assault by time wasting wankers. Yet, you get to read crap like that second post in that second closed thread.

It is simple. Unless admins and mods adopt a strict policy about a board’s community, this crap will aways happen. My board is notorious for being as close to a virtual lockdown as you can get. And those knocking it are the very pricks who never get approved to post there - or who get banned the first time they step out of line. But every few months, we get n00bs who post stuff like the threads below - and only because, believe it or not, my forums are the cleanest gaming forums on the web. Period.

The BC community
I love you guys!

Errmm… I was going to defend Rich’s right to talk surgeries… After all, the guy’s been through a lot in the past few years, and when you’re stuck in a wheelchair, health problems become more of a central focus to your life than you’d like them to be.

Still, he could have kept this one to himself…

I’m having some minor surgery done today. The only clue I’m giving is that every time I pass a male dog he has a smirk on his face.

Actually Denny, it looks like it was Bill Harris who posted that, not the “Jesus of Gaming” Rich LaPorte. I like GG and I’ve been visiting it for a long time but sometimes Rich can come across as being such a nice guy I want to slap him silly.

You know what I caught myself thinking while I read that forum thread you linked to Derek?

“If Evilavatar was a game developer, that’s exactly how he would come across when talking about his game and reacting to others”

Take that however you will! :wink:

Certis, is that you?

I doubt it. In order to be a game developer, there is an implied level of education, intelligence, talent, dedication and the ability to accept the consequences of being right or wrong on any given day of the week. Oh, and you have to be good at something.

Though some might like to think so, being a game developer is not just about the very premise therein, but about the responsibilities that it brings.

Sure looks like him. :)

–Dave

I doubt it. In order to be a game developer, there is an implied level of education, intelligence, talent, dedication and the ability to accept the consequences of being right or wrong on any given day of the week. Oh, and you have to be good at something.

Like posting in message boards I’m sure.

Dave, Crypt, you guys are just flat-out creepy.

Well, give yourself a ceeeeegar, because you’ve now discovered that you are sure of something. :roll:

Look at it this way, where else would you get to share the same destination IP address as people who actually know wtf they’re talking about or doing? Because under normal circumstances, thats the closest most (quick!! go look in a mirror!) are ever going to get to, oh I dunno, industry peers maybe?

…most are never going to be in the same room, nor share the same air and/or volumetric space. So, when you do come this close, show some respect instead of yapping off at the mouth as if this was that other site you seemingly spawned from. Around here, you don’t have to post to draw attention. Despite Met_K’s actions to the contrary, there is a code of conduct around here. Learn it.

I don’t want special treatment. I just like posting on baords as a gamer that has the good fortune to make games for a living. This was my dream as a teenager and now I live it. Keep in mind that I am 35, so I had that dream for while. Good boards tend to develop a life of their own and a sense of community. Sure, they also develop situations in which people alway take certain sides, but hey polarizing is part of human nature.

On the other hand I don’t want to be treated like a toilet that must take ony shi*t that people want to dump on me just because I make games. Not refering to any sites in particular.

Whoa whoa whoa, back up, you’re using me as a benchmark for what’s against the rules? Man, I really -am- the redheaded step child in this family. How cool.

I got quoted on a holiday ornament first, neener neener neener. :)