Is Halo PC still worth playing through?

Let’s just say the game had some problems. I just can’t see it being termed as amateurish though.

Fair enough, but I think you’re getting too hung up on the word ‘amateurish’ as derogatory. I was simply trying to be descriptive. My point was that Crytek made a bunch of mistakes a more experienced developer that isn’t called id would have avoided.

But yeah, props to Far Cry for some things, most of which are technical.

-Tom

[quote=“Kaigen”]

Woah, woah, hold up a minute. Doom 3 did not have a good story or innovative weapons and was much too easy all the way through. I don’t think the firefights were the problem.[/quote]

Ok Doom 3 did have plenty of problems in other areas, it easily my most disappointing title of 2004. But if it had good firefights none of those other problems would have mattered. To me at least.

You know, I’d like to contribute something positive to this thread but I just can’t seem to do it.

I’ve never gotten Doom 3’s supposed “atmosphere.” I regard Doom 3 and Far Cry both as the gaming equivalent of dry mouth.

Riddick and Half-Life 2 are both awesome and I can not knock either of them for anything. So I guess that’s my one positive thing.

Also, since we’re talking about recent FPSs, I’ll put in a nod for Star Wars: Republic Commando. Combines a lot of the better elements of both Halo and Metroid Prime into one extremely well-paced, entertaining shooter with a lot of personality. And it does more to endear your squad to you than Brothers in Arms did, that’s for damn sure.

toss my cookies in

Excluding the Library, Halo is a pretty fun FPS- I’m fairly simple when it comes to shooters— I just ran thru the Brother in Arms demo and frankly there was too much “stuff” to do- Give me Call of Duty any day.

I loved the driving physics and vehicles in Halo… hey if it is a bargain and you like an fps, go for it.

Far Cry-- WTF is up with that last level- no health, no guns… no way to get past those stupid guys after jumping off the cliff. I gave up.

About the Halo PC port… I never played the Xbox version but I thought the PC port was just fine. Yeah, it’s a console port so obviously it won’t compete with HL2 or Doom 3 when it comes to texture details or polygon count but otherwise I didn’t see any problems. The keyboard + mouse controls worked very well.

Well, the obvious main gripe with the PC version is that it doesn’t support cooperative play. It’s easily the most fun coop shooter I’ve played, and PC-only people are really missing out.

krayzkrok: check out one of the many Halo tweaking guides available if you want better performance. Specifically, the “-use 11” command-line parameter, which forces the game to use PS 1.1, offers a significant performance boost.

The AI was the best part about halo. You don’t see the true beauty of the game until you go legendary.

Once you see the covenant pull a sacrificial lamb move on you, you appreciate it so much more.

Before the end, there is a room that is filled with nearly unlimited ammo and guns. It shuts tights once you leave HOWEVER there is a chair in there which you can prop the door open so you can refill at your leasure.

Other games suffer from these problems and their amaturish too in today’s gaming world. Farcry simply doesn’t hold up as an overall gaming experience(hint: I’m talking about stuff besides just the spiffy engine) to titles like HL2, and Halo 2. Those are games that are very well done besides just their engines.

Where is this “solving” problems in diffrent ways come from? People say this about the game and it doesn’t exist. Saying something like that would mean actually offering multiple ways to do something. Actual differnt things. Attacking the base in the jungle from the front, left, right or back doesn’t constitute multiple ways of solving a problem. Your doing the same stuff(killing and blowing shit up), just from a diffrent direction.

I think you’re pushing it here. First- not all bases need to be assaulted. Large portions of levels can be entirely avoided based on your route or means of transportation. It may not change the end goal (ie get to the end of the level) but it certainly makes for a variety of experiences in getting there.

And even if its base assault, the approach absolutely changes your tactics, difficulty of the fight, etc even if it will ultimately come down to “killing and blowing shit up” (what were you expecting- diplomacy?). Just in the demo level, assaulting the beach is loads easier if you come at the encampment from behind and take up position on the mounted machine gun overlooking the entire camp.

http://www.crytek.com/news/story.php?id=8&p=0&n=pr&t=1

Chertsey, Surrey, UK, July 23, 2004 – Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS), the world’s leading interactive entertainment software company, today announced a worldwide strategic partnership to develop and publish a new game franchise with developer Crytek GmbH.

[quote=“Kevin_Grey”]

I think you’re pushing it here. First- not all bases need to be assaulted. Large portions of levels can be entirely avoided based on your route or means of transportation. It may not change the end goal (ie get to the end of the level) but it certainly makes for a variety of experiences in getting there.

And even if its base assault, the approach absolutely changes your tactics, difficulty of the fight, etc even if it will ultimately come down to “killing and blowing shit up” (what were you expecting- diplomacy?). Just in the demo level, assaulting the beach is loads easier if you come at the encampment from behind and take up position on the mounted machine gun overlooking the entire camp.[/quote]

I appreciated this in FC as well, something like COD you wouldnt even be able to walk through the brush, it’s just march on down the fake corridor even if it’s a ridiculous notion tactically. I dont need 100% non-linear, but I need some kind of fucknig breathing room. Lay off the doors if I can’t open them for example, kills suspension of disbelief really nicely when your about to be shot to death but your little soldier wouldnt consider opening a door to hide for a sec.

Another One Bites the Dust

It would have been worth playing HaloPC the day it came out (just to get that ‘feeling’ that xbox players did), but after some time has passed, and after you look back at that game and ask “Was that game any good?”, I can tell you it isn’t worth your time. The reasons are the same as the above have already discussed.

• Riddick: best shooter of 2004, period. Great engine, great gameplay, superbly implemented stealth…and you can fucking see in the dark without limited batteries and shoot out lights!. ROXOR!

• Far Cry: Great until the end. Great engine, great semi-non-linear gameplay that rewards careful tactics, generous stealth (i.e. hide in bushes = nearlly invisible), lots of neat environments. Completely ruined by the totally gauntlet linear, totally unfair final couple of levels of the game.

• Half-Life 2: not the game I was expecting. Solid, but not even close to the years of hype. Pretty good engine, OK gameplay, linear like a bastard, few tactical options.

• Doom 3: Hello disappointment. Great engine, tired and predictable gameplay after the first 10E5 monster closets. Linear like a very, very long straight thing. Nice environments, though.

• Halo PC: Horrible ported engine that still taxes modern machines (shader + NV GF = bad), linear as well but still rewards tactical thinking (i.e. gives you room to actually move and plan around the enviroment), still the best vehicles, completely unexcusable reuse of architecture elements (ctrl+c ctrl+v the worst I’ve seen), nice A.I., and yes, the library is lot more fun than most people are willing to admit.

• Painkiller: Serious Sam, except you feel even more like a bad-ass when you play (i.e. far more better balanced). Right there under Riddick, for me.

–scharmers

I think Halo PC’s still worth a play if you haven’t already, especially if you’ve upgraded your tech since its release. The AI, the recharging armor mechanic, the mouse/keyboard controls, the vehicles – there haven’t been many PC games since with better overall combat. I still load up certain levels in that game every once in a while for fun – “Halo,” “Assault on the Control Room”, etc.

Far Cry, IMO, was a brilliant game that made a few dumb mistakes. The open-ended levels were great, the tech was awesome … but then you had poor difficulty balancing and checkpoints mucking things up. With a few simple tweaks, I think it could have been GOTY material, but they just couldn’t take it the last 10 yards.

Err I think your the one pushing the concept of multiple ways to do things when it comes to Farcry.

You can use the same basic tactics and get through the whole game fine. I wasn’t expecting diplomacy I meant there arn’t all these diffrent ways to do things. The game is you shootng and blowing stuff up like any standard FPS. There’s nothing like say sneaking into the base, stealing a laser designator and then using it to call in a air strike. Something like that would be offering an option.

The game is you shootng and blowing stuff up like any standard FPS.

The “All Games are Pong” argument.

Like it or not, there are several different sub-genres in the overall Shooter genre. You got your “hordes o’ enemies” shooter. You got your “tactical” shooter. You got your “sneakers”. You got your “rail shooters”. You got your “stats/RPG” shooter. Etc. Far Cry gives you several different approaches (literally, in the “which physical path will you approach the enemy”) to shooting shit up, and, along with some other stuff, puts you in the tactical camp, with a dash of sneaker and a dash of Ho’E.

Recognize the genre. I specifically enjoyed Far Cry because it wasn’t, say, a rail shooter (aka Doom 3), and I appreciate the differences between shooters regardless of the fact they all boil down to shoot+run+kill+blow stuff up.

–scharmers

???

Short of Mercenaries (not even a FPS game itself) what game does give you these options? Within its genre FarCry gives a remarkable amount of choice.

[quote=“Kevin_Grey”]

???

Short of Mercenaries (not even a FPS game itself) what game does give you these options? Within its genre FarCry gives a remarkable amount of choice.[/quote]

Not to me it doesn’t. Morrowind is a game that you can call open-ended for example. one of the few out thatre that truely can fit that description. It has real freedom(maybe to the point of being aimless to some people including myself to a degree), but its there.

As to the the whole Pong comment. No not all games are just that but neither are there all these diffrent types people want to think exist. Most games like FPS’s have much more in comman than diffences or variations. I guess its how little or much it takes for a person to consider something “diffrent”. I personally think people stretch that concept a to far.