Is it about the music or the image?

Rockers pose as teens to hit charts.

Then again, perhaps the song was just better than anything else they’ve done recently…

It’s all multimedia now, Denny. When I was a kid no one would have been able to identify a member of Chicago or Boston walking down the street. With videos now it’s all sex and tone and looks to go with the music. If it doesn’t keep the eyes busy, the channel gets flipped. So far as radio, I can’t remember the last time I purposefully tuned in the radio. I think it was about ten years ago. I don’t know if other people are like that, though. Most of my new music I hear at the gym these days, and they have video screens and play videos.

I’ve gotten a surprisingly amount of enjoyment out of KEXP (kexp.org), the local EMP-funded station. No ads, lots of interesting new stuff.

Is it about the music or the image?

Neither, it’s the money.

It’s for the love.

etc

It’s always been about both. We all know the joke about the 50-year old rock star trying to do what he did 25 years ago on stage.

I’ll tell you, this time it was a little of both. I run the official website for the band in question, and I in-on the whole thing.

The song, “45 RPM” is the right type of song at the right time. It’s a retro-sounding 70’s punk track that fits perfectly with Blink 182, etc. So, sonically, it could sell, but most likely not with the “Alarm” name attached, as the band was better known for rockier and new wave stuff, and had not released anything in 13 years (besides solo projects). The radio pluggers for Snapper tried very hard to get people interested, but in the current climate, it’s difficult for an 80’s band that has not been in the public eye for many years to get anything on the radio, especially in the UK (in the USA things are only slightly better).

In this case, it was a combination of the right song and the right timing to get a news story about “band image”. It goes perfect with the “American Idolization” of pop music and the record industry. To be honest though, the whole thing will probably not affect sales for the band that much. They have been selling their music over the internet for many years and doing OK, and would probably continue with or without this stunt. Still, it might help people listen to the next single…or it might have simply pissed people off. It remains to be seen what the fallout will be.

“Video killed the Radio Star”.