Is it the best time or the worst time for Fran Kranz' Mass?

I watched Fran Kranz’ directorial debut last night (on Hulu), and I’m not sure if it was the best or worst time for it. Maybe both. It was a rough watch, and a few minutes after it ended, tears welled up and I had a good cry. I’m still a little rattled today.

Okay, two days later and this is still rolling around in my head. Anyone else seen this? @tomchick?

I just got Hulu for the Orville, so I’ll try to watch it this weekend.

One of my favorite movies from last year. An amazing piece of work on Kranz’ part as a writer and director and just plain storyteller. And who knew Martha Plimpton had that in her? Easily one of the most important movies on the topic.

-Tom

I hadn’t heard of it, and knew nothing about it going in other than Kranz’ involvement. I mainly know him from The Cabin in the Woods, and was really struck by his small role in Homecoming, so I was curious, but in no way was expecting this. An outstanding film top to bottom, and especially so for a debut as writer/director.

I loved the way the film gradually revealed itself, in a way that felt very organic.

And the performances! My god. Every single one of the four was fantastic, but Martha Plimpton was just… wow.

I want everyone to see this film, but I’m also a little hesitant to go around recommending it because it takes a toll.

One question, if you happen to recall: There’s a recurring shot of a ribbon tied to the fence post, which Jason Isaacs sees through his sideview mirror. The reveal at the end with the lights is that past the fence in the distance is the school where the shooting had taken place, right? I didn’t make the connection until after, and I’m reluctant to revisit the film so soon.

I wouldn’t have seen your post if you hadn’t flagged me since I don’t read any of the catch-all threads. So I’m moving your post to its own thread just in case anyone else has comments or questions for those of us who have seen the movie.

I don’t recall, but that sounds like exactly the sort of detail I’d expect to find. Well spotted!

-Tom

I’m pretty sure you’re correct about that shot.

Like you I’m reluctant to watch this again anytime soon. I put this on the same shelf as The Sweet Hereafter - movies that are great, but so emotional devastating that I cannot bear to see them repeatedly.

Yep, same here. And I inferred from the title the movie was about a shooting, a church service, or a cancer. The moment the movie started, I figured it out pretty quickly, but then it turned out I was wrong. :)

But I think in the end, the answer is “d) all of the above”.

-Tom

That is an excellent description.

Ohhhh, OK. The Cabin in the Woods guy. I was wondering where I remembered his name. I usually think of him as the “Chemical Brothers Golden Path” guy, though.

I have Hulu. I’ll check it out.

Fran Kranz is very good in Dollhouse as well. He starts as a typical Whedonesque nerdy scientist guy, but they give him some really neat stuff to do that lets him really show some range. It’s not surprising to me to hear that he’s a very capable filmmaker.