Is Lovecraft too racist for gaming?

Case Closed

(pm may be right cause I think you were right)

(plus Footfall was a bit … average. Imop)

I have to wonder if Orson Scott Card’s views changed between his early books and now, because things like Ender’s Game seem pretty hard to reconcile with some of what he believes today.

He wouldn’t be the first. I used to really enjoy John C. Wright’s books and then he converted to evangelical Christianity and a particularly conservative breed of it and ended up one of the authors that the Sad Puppies were stuffing the Hugo ballots for.

Yeah, I’ve had the same thought. The first couple sequels to Ender’s Game, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide, were explicit almost to the point of preachiness in their message of tolerance and acceptance for beings whose way of life seems strange or off-putting. It’s a shame that he has swung so far in the other direction now.

I just read his basic biographic info. I guess he got more fundamentally religious as time went on? Though it seems he was always involved deeply in the LDS.

Oooh Houllebecq … Didn’t know about him writing on Lovecraft, uncannily appropriate I would say.

@Navaronegun I recommend you to read his Whatever, Elementary Particles and Platform trilogy. You may end up going full Thoreau and decamping for a cabin by a lake or with views on the Yukon after that.

I’ve spent far too many painful years attempting to methodically Search and Destroy whatever stray elements of Foucault, Derrida and Barthes made their way into my brain (despite my best defensive efforts in University) to risk allowing any Houllebecq in there now.
Why risk undoing 20ish years of hard work?

Tension between genesis and structure?!?

Eat hot lead “Other” as opposed to “the Same”!

Sigh when you boys vent with guns … though I have to admit you all aren’t total dumbassses, Think with your brains and not your small brains.

If you learned all that literary/social theory, you might as well use it to enjoy some novels that are truly misanthropic and filthy.

NOW you are getting me interested!

“We hit nothing!”

That’s what they get for trying to engage deconstructionist concepts! There is nothing there!

You go, grrl!

I’d pay (or Patreon) $100 for an open-world Farnham’s Freehold game.

But obvi not $500, 'cause that’d be super racist.

“Of other vegetables I like peas & onions, can tolerate cabbage & turnips, am neutral toward cauliflower, have no deep enmity toward carrots, prefer to dodge parsnips & asparagus, shun string beans & brussel sprouts & abominate spinach. I like rhubarb…” – H.P. Lovecraft

Ugh Derrida and triple ugh for Houllebecq. I read one book by that douche and it cured me of any interest in contemperary french intellectualist literature for… ever.

Derridan managed to stop my interest in philosophy in its tracks. I didn’t get it or I didn’t like what I got, but running against that wall turned me off it in a big way.

huge kudo’s for that comic cover @Navaronegun . lol!

Yeah, I went back in again with Heidegger and loved it. Derrida (much beloved and incredibly influential with Literary and other cultural critics) basically provided a method where one can examine a text and find whatever politically/socially/etc charged material one wants to find in it, by teasing out subtexts. All basically subjective, mind you, but cloaked as objective methodologies. Go back, read some Philosophy, and ignore the French post-Modernists. You aren’t missing much. They are basically politically-motivated Sophists.

Oh its far worse. If only they had known how their thinking ushered in this current era of fake-news and science-sceptiscism where young, educated people are refusing their babies vaccination because science is just an opinion man… Well fuck them.

Fuck them and the fucking horse they rode in on. To me, western philosophy ended being any good with the french existentialists of the late 50s. Camus, Sartre, Arendt, that lot.

I’m an opiniated asshole myself, I know. To me philosophy is politics. And to build and maintain a thought construct that is so utterly destructive in nature… ugh. Makes me want to start a fucking riot.

yeah, Heidegger rocks. Memento mori motherfucker. It’s philosophy as doom-metal.

Preach!

But I can do Camus at times…

Has your Dasein been thrown, b****? If not, don’t talk to me!

Sartre said it all. Hell is other people.