Is Lovecraft too racist for gaming?

My Dasein was supplexed into the world, picked up and bodyslammed by the Other and got up, wiped the blood of its face and gave em all the bird, so put 'em up!

Then, Sir, we can do bidness!

To get tangentially back on topic, just before I dropped out, I studied a nazi called Carl Schmitt. Now that guy, despite being an active part of the nazi government wrote some pretty interesting and thought provoking things. Valuable things even. If only to try to refute, or find the cracks in.

His thing is reversing Clausewitz’ thesis that war is politics by other means. Schmitt says politics is war by other means. At the line where these people can no longer tolerate what those people do and think, that’s where talking ends and the violence begins.

You can read that as an invitation to just stop talking, pick up the guns and pass the ammo or as a strong reminder that disagreements of any nature are in essence fights but that civilized people can fight in other ways than pure bloodshed. That we need to keep talking and listening or we end up punching and shooting.

There’s also this thing where his thesis of politics as veiled violence can be shown to neccessitate internal differences in a body politic. If all are of one mind, there is no way to express oneself except outward, ie become an agressive bunch of imperialists or something like that. The norks demonstrate that point quite handily.

Anyway, so this bit of thinking comes from a nazi, a fascist and a racist. A bad, bad dude. Should we not kick his thinking around just to become wiser men by that? Should we not still read Lovecraft therefore, critically, and thereby become richer men?

Of course, I think we are all there.

@CraigM did win the Internet for summing this up.

Even execrable works by willing supporters of execrable causes (Triumph of the Will, Birth of a Nation, Earth) can have brilliance attached to them and deserve study. That study could involve putting them in a game. Again, nuance. Context. Bioshock: Infinite is an example of one,

Right. So we’re done here. Suck it Eurogamer.

We’re done. Case Closed, @Telefrog!

Next Week on Qt3 Court…

Wilde Thing! Or not?

Fur is murder.

Fox is Mulder.

Good old Oscar Wilde, whose (apocryphal) last words were, “Either the wallpaper goes or I do!”

Terrorists are bad.

I played Bioshock: Infinite all the way through a few months ago. When it wasn’t throwing waves of enemies at me I actually really liked it. Plus it did have a message. And I am not talking about the goofy endgame.

Subscribed. Is the content maker on Qt3?

Yeah, it could have been described as D.W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation-land ™

Anthony Burch is an ex-writer for Gearbox who worked on, among other things, Borderlands 1 & 2. Ashly Burch is the voice of every female character in a videogame released in the last 3-5 years. HAWP is pretty hit or miss–even more miss than hit, but when it hits it really hits. That video is a top 5 Youtube video of all time for me.

I like me some Papa Burch.

OK, This was a really weird Intermission from Tokyo Story. Back to the Film!

It comes so close. That opening, right up until the moment you gore someone, is amazing. There are 3-4 sections that are just mind glowingly great examples of world building. No joke, a Gone Home style ‘walking simulator’ version of that world would probably be a top 10 all time game for me.

By, sadly, the needs of AAA development and a story that gets stupid by the halfway point, mean it isn’t. Great world building, shame all the shooting you have to do in it.

Even if I would agree that when my hand got stabbed (sry spoiler) it went well for a chapter after.

Oh, thanks for addicting me, @Matt_W

NP:) There’s a $2 DLC for Saint’s Row 4 that adds Ashley, Anthony, and Papa to the game as your posse. I enjoyed it.

Mote is great. It’s a nuanced treatment of xenophobia, on multiple levels. The ending is really sad in an unpredictable way.

Lovecraft was racist. All that stuff about the dark strange figures muttering in shadowy alleyways is racist — Houellebecq (whom I love) is great on the roots of this racism in HPL’s life. Only an autistic person or a crypto-fascist pretending not to see it could require that the racism be explicitly spelled out to be acknowledged. These are stories, not essays, for fuck’s sake. They don’t need racist slurs to be racist.

Lovecraft was a hack. His prose is ridiculous. It sucks. He uses the words “Cyclopean” and “squamous” in every single story. But there’s this thing he does…a thing behind the thing behind the thing.
It’s…squamous…and Cyclopean. Many superior writers have tried to do it and failed. Whole generations of readers have prized it over all other things.

Who can explain these mysteries? It’s art.

Anyway, read Richard Corben’s Lovecraft comics. They don’t really have this problem. And read William Hope Hodgson, who makes Lovecraft look like a small-town boy.