Is Lovecraft too racist for gaming?

Ah okay. I was thinking of The Shunned House.

This is the one where a student at Miskatonic boards in a room with a strange, changing geometry (he thinks) to it.

Sorry Mr. Gun. You get your turn later. :)

I’d partipate, sliding into the forum thread from the local dog park. You might not see me, but you’ll be aware of something pulsing, inchoate, weeping unseen blackness from just beyond the corners of your screen, like a librarian or the invisible old lady who probably lives in your house.

Listen whatever these dumb authors did or believed – Mote in God’s Eye is still a classic (sf). Nothing can really change that.

I was very upset to learn about Orson Scott Cards opinions about things (and boy scouts). I have boycotted his books. But sometimes I wonder if that was the best idea. For example one novel he wrote was an excellent expose on Obsessive/compulsive disorder. And obviously his original on genocide.
My conclusion here is a complex point perhaps: There can be good in you even if there is a bad.

Finally as a conclusion to my brief point in this tumultuous subject matter: Joe Abercombie tends to hit some of these same points and we are discussing that in Books.

When you see an abstraction related to the monstrosity, it means that a squid from a surface hesitates. A doorstep toward a clock underhandedly pierced the black, beating heart of the lazily impossible myth. When a shadow around a horror ceases to exist, a scout inside an Elder Sign dies.

Naw, that’s awesome. They really didn’t understand space at the time and thought there was connective “ether” rather than a vacuum. And creatures from beyond our dimension of time and space, like Cthulhu, also have wings and slip between dimensions. Loved the way Stephen King in his Mist/Dark Tower stories incorporated the concept of terrible creatures living in the ‘non-matter’ between dimensions, where many of Lovecraft’s creatures were spawned or passed through.

I’m almost at the end of the audible audiobook of Lovecraft’s complete works (now on Shadow of Time, his 2nd to last written story, although there’s still 3 hours to listen to, so maybe there’s some collaborative works included). Love it all so much that I already picked up the 3rd volume, which is just collaborations and ghost-written stuff - none of which I’ve really heard of, so probably not as good, but I just don’t want to be done with Lovecraft yet.

Die Monster, Die! - a Boris Karloff featured adaptation of Colour Out of Space was also on last night as part of TCM’s Halloween movie festival - taped it and looking forward to watching.

No, that’s the Shunned House.

I maybe have to relisten to Dreams in the Witch House, as I was driving on the highway for most of it so was paying less attention than usual, but I find Lovecraft’s dream stories less interesting than the more straight-forward ones, although I do like that they feature a lot of aliens and gods. It was definitely really creepy though.

I’m definitely a Mountains of Madness man - very disappointed that GDT didn’t get to adapt it.

Oh yeah, I get that. But I was a kid into science fiction and space stuff when I first read him. So I was a little, um, I guess you could say prejudiced. :)

Oh hell yeah.

I love At the Mountains of Madness too, probably my favorite Lovecraft story. It reads like an anthropoligical study of things that never were. But yeah, I get how that’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.

Yeah, my favorite part may be when the narrator just divines the history of the elder things from their art, and talks about their battles with the cthulhu spawn and Mi-go, etc. But I also just love the atmosphere and setting. I’m not as big a fan of GDT as others are, but he really would have done Mountains of Madness justice.

There’s a lot of “history of Earth and the solar system” in Shadow of Time too, another of his best stories, and I just love that stuff.

Physics doesn’t apply to them. Hell reality itself doesn’t half the time, so flying through nothingness works as much as melting reality or anything else that happens.

Well, solar sails are a thing, so…

Cross posting this from the Aquaman thread, since the article reminded me of this discussion. It mentions that the movie takes influence from Lovecraft’s work, but turns the racial aspect around to reach a different conclusion.

That is definitely the Slate-iest headline and tease I’ve seen this week.

Enjoy.

So the story of the DLC is that a woman who’s essentially an otherworldly witch robs a gay couple of their happy day, questions their relationship, and then tries to fix the “flaw” of their love by transforming one of the men into her own husband, so as to create a supposedly more pure love. That’s already a little strange and more than a bit homophobic, but when you also consider that this DLC is Lovecraft-inspired, it becomes even more problematic.

So now, looking at the storyline of Guns, Love, and Tentacles, you have to take into account how Gearbox has written the black characters–in this case, Wainwright and Hammerlock–because that’s a part of Lovecraft fiction too. And in this sense, Gearbox is rather spot-on. The two black men are too worthless to help themselves and have a love that’s constantly scrutinized and questioned throughout a majority of the DLC, while the antagonist is “purifying” their love by transforming one of them into her white, heterosexual husband. If she just falls in love with and marries Wainwright, that would be, in Lovecraft’s eyes, a gross intermixing of the races, so Wainwright has to transform into her husband first in order for the love to be genuine. Lots of red flags there, but very Lovecraft.

The problem is that Gearbox does nothing to dismiss them.

It doesnt offend me but seems like a bit of a creative mess. I will still buy it, I mean I skip all the cut scene garbage anyway to get back to what Borderlands is good at (guns and shooting stuff) but I do wonder why they even bother throwing in all these other elements that just dont fit the game at all.

Borderlands would be enhanced if someone just modded out all the dialog, story guff and exposition.

I only played the first Borderlands, but that robot annoyed the fuck out of me.

"Look, I’m dancing. I’m dancing!"

Yep. Gunplay great, everything else not so much.

@RichVR @TheWombat You guys have restored my faith in gamerdom. Glad I am not alone :)