Is the 4th like a war zone where you live?

I’m bracing for the onslaught tonight, but it’s been relatively quite so far here in Bothell.

But at least it’ll be better than last year when I was dealing with a cat who (it seemed) was literally minutes away from needing to be put down. A year later, and he’s in the best shape in years and has never been happier.

Speak for yourself. ;-) I am in the Mill Creek/Silver Lakes area though.

It’s just one guy so far, he’s just shooting off something loud every 10-15 minutes. So every time one of my cats comes out of cover, there is another explosion.

I went for a walk earlier. Guy was letting off small stuff with two small kids. The good stuff, that I am all for. On my way back home I saw he left all the shit in the road. It’s all cardboard, so it could be worse, I just don’t get people.

Ahhhh! Blessed rain.

Yeah, but it’s FL, it will be sunny in 20 minutes. (Although you guys do have some epic thunderstorms that last hours, I used to love those.)

That’s what I’m hoping for.

I’m a bit east of Canyon Park and I’ve heard a few pops, but it hasn’t been much worse than the usual sound from the nearby gun range.

…I type, right before a shell goes off in the vicinity.

I guess it’s starting.

Not too bad up here in Mt. Vernon. But, we have 4 dogs and one of them, a large German Sheppard, is horribly afraid of any noises…so today will be super sucky.

Still thunder but rain stopping. I guess the boys get Benadryl tonight. Acording to their weight they get half a pill each. 12.5mg.

In case anyone is interested.

Benadryl Dosage for Dogs

As with any drug, the correct dosage of Benadryl for dogs depends on the dog’s weight. Most drugstore diphenhydramine tablets, whether generic or brand name Benadryl, are 25 milligrams. The standard dosage for a dog is 1 milligram per pound of body weight, so one tablet is perfect for a 25-pound dog. Veterinarians suggest giving a dose every 8-12 hours (about 2-3 times a day).

Small dogs under 25 pounds can take the children’s formula of liquid Benadryl. Liquid children’s formula is easier for measuring the proper dosage for smaller dogs than the tablets. Stick to the children’s formula of liquid Benadryl as the adult version contains alcohol, which is toxic to dogs.

Never give a dog too much Benadryl — an overdose is possible. Abuse of the drug can result in fatal diphenhydramine poisoning, so always consult your veterinarian if you are unsure of proper dosage. Signs of overdose include constipation, agitation, dilated pupils, seizures, and rapid heart rate.

Disclaimer: IANA vet. If you take my advice it’s all on you. Keep your good bois healthy.

I haven’t heard anything yet this year. People typically wait until it’s dark. In previous years my town’s fireworks were close enough and big enough to scare the ever-loving shit out of my dogs, but maybe today will be less bad because of covid 19.

I heard fireworks shooting off last night, but not until after midnight. It’s like these jokers were sitting there anxiously eyeing the clock, “Is it the 4th yet??” “No dummy, ten more minutes!”

No dummy. Some people aren’t sleeping yet.

My family doubled our fireworks budget this year, because heck no summer vacation is gonna happen. I get the sense that tonight is going to be a lot of fun.

I hope it won’t be worse than usual for the neighborhood pets, but the people are going to have a ball.

Now it begins. The slow build up. Eventually the crescendo.

Rain god. Why have you forsaken me? ::shakes fist at sky::

At the point of the evening when I’m strongly considering taking a stroll around the neighborhood with my cranky sleep-deprived toddler at 7am tomorrow and encouraging her to scream loudly at all of the houses currently setting off fireworks!

The usual is already horrible. Wild animals it’s even worse.

They cancelled the normal fireworks show in my city, so now instead there are like a hundred separate ones in every direction.

Some guy like 2 blocks from me is essentially putting on a professional show from his yard.

It’s pretty awesome, actually.

Here they moved it out of town or something.

In theory so everyone can see it from their home? But the reality is: trees.

So I assume I’ll just have a couple nervous animals and one traumatized one, with maybe some car alarms.

That’s the norm in places like Western WA. I have lived all over the county and never seen it as bad as it here (not even close). It’s literally non-stop explosions for a good 4-5 hours here. Since it’s on a Saturday this year, its been going all day, but come nightfall, it will just be a mass of explosions for hours.

Friend of mine has 3 labs, so she rented a place out in the woods just to get away with her dogs. She’s been posting to Instagram all day, the dogs are having a blast playing fetch in a river. Heck I would do the same with my cats if I could get them to play fetch in a river.

There are people a few doors down that have far more money than sense. They just set one off that shook the house. Dogs are not happy. They’ve been setting them off occasionally since just before 9am