Is there a book/movie that's a metaphor for what's going on in the U.S. right now?

Also, too, The Handmaid’s Tale. The book, or the older movie, or the current series. It was written to predict / describe what’s going on now.

I’d say this is more relevant now than when it was made in '92:

There are V novels. I may have read some. I never saw the show.

Oh man, A Face in the Crowd, that’s a great movie and I haven’t seen it in forever. One of my favorite things to see is actors playing against type, like Andy Griffith in this movie, or Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West, or James Stewart in Vertigo. Anyway that kind of thing.

The Matrix is pretty close, what with society all up in a fake reality made through social media most of the time.

Kind of out-there, but there’s a few subplots in Glenn Cook’s Garrett, P.I. novels that are reflective of our times. They’re seldom the focus of the books, but always bubbling there in the background. Wealth inequality, an ever-ongoing war, and racial discrimination. 6 or 7 books in, the war ends, and all the soldiers returning home makes the racial divide blow up. ‘Human Rights Activists’ (white nationalists) outs actually really well done.