Is there a doctor in the house? I think I broke my pinky toe

Bones are highly ennervated and hurt like hell when broken. Bone nerves are extremely sensitive, which is why a bone marrow stick hurts like hell and the only cancer subtype that is virtually guaranteed to be painful is bone cancer.

From someone who has broken several toes and fingers, I must say that just taping it probably is the way to go.

You had three pinky toes? No wonder you cut them all off! Do you grow new ones periodically?

Or just be a man and let it hang there. That’s what I did, and it still healed. It’s even almost at its original angle.

Like all true Men, I regenerate minor limbs. I also have a sense of humor. :P Were you voted “Most Gullible” somewhere?

Back to Amber with you, Corwin.

It’s an important distinction, because you can have a broken bone without pain, and lack of pain does not mean it isn’t broken.

When I played football in high school, I got cut-block from both sides below the knee on my left shin, breaking my leg. It wasn’t a bad break, but you could definitely see it was broken in the X-Ray. At first it hurt a fair bit, and I got a splint and crutches. After a few days the pain went away, and I could run, jump, etc. without any problem…

I went back for the followup doctor visit – “What the hell did you do with your splint?”, “It’s ok doc, everythings fine, see?”, followed by comparing a new X-Ray to the old one and showing me the break was substantially bigger. He pointedly asked me if I’d like to come in for surgery later, or have a cast now?

shrug My broken bone didn’t, and I’ve met other people with the same experience. Perhaps compound fracture hurts like hell, but I’ve no experience with that. As a result, I’m guessing it’s quite possible to break your toe, have only the soft tissue damage hurt, feel that it’s healed, then end up breaking your toe worse because you didn’t buddy tape it.

In my humble experience, it’s foolish to rely upon whether it hurts or not to judge if it’s broken.

Dislocation and broken are different, but used interchangeably. That might be the thing.

I did not “dislocate” the middle of my fibula – as seen clearly on an X-Ray, I broke it. I am not confused about what happened, and nor was my sports doctor.

In my sports experience “dislocated” and “broken” have never been used interchangeably.

No… were you?

<FoghornLeghorn>
It’s a JOKE, son! I made a FUNNY!
</FoghornLeghorn>

I fell down over a low wall the other day and I mashed my right femur pretty bad. It isn’t broken (I can walk on it, etc) but it hurts like a bitch. To help relieve the pain should I just pop advil and ice it whenever I can? Any other tips for what may be a bone bruise?

I was speaking in lay terms, Jarper. Don’t blow a gasket.

this thread is useless without pics

Does no one on this board have health insurance? Go get an x-ray!

Damn it, where’d that gasket get to?! I’m always losing those damn things.

Also I like Jarper, that’s the best mangling of my name to date. :-)

Everyone on this board is a freelance games writer. Freelance writers have to buy their own insurance, and the deductible is like a million dollars. Also the banner ad at the top of this page has a photo of a disturbed-looking guy with a hat on with the caption Life Ruined By Teabagging.

I’d be reluctant to go to the doctor too, if people are getting teabagged on the examination table.

I didn’t get teabagged but it did get accidentally kicked by a roomie when I was cooking and I think I put the fear of god into 'em when I went on a ten minute romp around the house swearing like Mark Twain.

Anyway, it’s wrapped and I didn’t go to the doctor. Thanks folks! Now to see how bad the angle is when I unwrap it and if I can use it as an easy marker when woodworking. (Not really, it’s wrapped up tight next to the other toe and should come out pretty straight)

fibular fractures generally don’t hurt much – why? because the fibula is a non-weight bearing bone.

if you broke your tibia, I can assure you that it would hurt like hell if you tried to weight bear.

patients with (most) isolated fibular fractures get sent home with nothing but a pat on the back… you don’t need crutches… you don’t need narcotics (unless you are a wimp).

and, yes, broken bones do hurt – unless you are one of the unlucky 7 people in the world who do not feel pain due to a sensory innervation problem.

I am sure if I applied your weight in pressure to the middle of your fibular fracture that you would change your mind about it not hurting.

and for the guy who said broken bones don’t hurt… I will have to tell you they do! all bones are innvervated with sensory neurons to the periosteum (the outer most layer of bone – a thin layer outside the cortex). It is the exposed sensory nerves of the periosteum that cause the bony pain you feel when you break a bone.

class dismissed.