Is there a modern version of X-Com?

Gametap XCOM didn’t work in Vista the last I tried.

And is the Windows version that gave me so much irritation with the fixed screen-size and lack of windowing.

Speaking of LSN… does anyone still play? I have an account I’ve kept subscribed to play with a few friends. It’s a fun diversion.

I’m reading the X-Com thread in EE (why was it in there anyway? I tend to not venture into EE and missed it … on the other hand, I have some great reading material now :) and have to reconsider. Afterlight missions really aren’t nearly as hardass as the original X-Com is, and the strategic layer is far more linear and forgiving as well.

Heck, you start out missions deployed already!

I guess I forgot how tough it was since I played it last …

And this is probably a better place to post … has anyone gotten XCom working on OS X in DosBox? Geoscape works fine for me, but the moment after I take my first turn in tactical (+ potential alien response) the thing crashes.

I’ve gotten it working under Linux, didn’t really need to do anything funky other than set the cycles to 30000 so’s the scrolling/planet-rotating doesn’t go crazy fast.

Could be a disk permission issue – will it let you save your game from the Geoscape?

Yeah, it did.I see stuff under Game 1 or Game 2. Then again, those dirs already exist, I wonder if it tries to create more in Tactical? Think i should chmod the whole thing 777 and try it again?

The rotation is ok, but the scrolling is a bit fast, I’ll have to try that out as well.

This seems as good a thread as any to ask, has anyone played WH40K: Squad Command for the DS? I’m looking at metacritic and the reviews seem pretty tepid. Can anyone tell me why they think it’s good, if they think it’s good or if only the PSP version is the one to buy (like Puzzle Quest)? Thanks.

After reading the EE thread, and seeing recent Oregon trail application invites on facebook, I’d love to see a similar X-COM application. I think everyone has named their recruits after someone they know at one time or another.

chmodding everything to 777 would be a quick way to see if it’s a permissions problem; I’ve got everything 660’d here (er, except the directories, which are 770, of course).

I don’t have a subdir called “Tactical”, though, but then I’m not running it right now, so perhaps that’s one that’s created on the fly (which fits the symptoms you’re describing).

No, tactical is the exe that kicks in when it’s mission time. It fires up fine.

Well, 777’ing everything gave me a whole turn vs just one troop movement. I’ll keep poking at it as it seems to be fine until … something happens. Maybe I’m missing a file, hm.

I’ve been able to play XCOM and XCOM: TFTD well on DOSBox. XCOM: Apocalpyse worked fine for me in XP.

The best XCOM clone I’ve played recently is UFO: Afterlight… I saw a couple other UFO games mentioned but not that one.

If anyone else gets the urge, I fixed this issue with an alternate version of DOS4GW from the VOGONS site. Oh, memories.

How did you install Apocalypse, BTW? The installer on the disk is a DOS one (yecchh) and asks for sound card IRQs and all that. (this is the Apoc disc from the Collector’s edition, which mysteriously had Windows versions of UFO Defense and TFTD, but not of Apoc). Once installed, you just ran the program with no problems?

There are Windows versions of X-Com??

Did you have any speed problems with DOSBox, or was that taken care of? I’ve got a Mac with VMWare fusion, and I was able to run Xcom there, but just like a PC, the speed is way too fast…and the free slowdown program I found (Turbo) wasn’t exactly a good combo with the VM.

The speed problem with DOSBox is that you have to give it a ton of cycles (~30k) for X-COM not to be choppy. On current chips that shouldn’t be a big problem, but even a few years ago it was.

I’ve got a Mac with VMWare fusion

There’s an OSX version of DosBox which is working fine for me. No VMing required. The default clock speed works fine as well.

They just released a new version which finally includes interceptors and the ability to shoot UFO’s down, which wasn’t available in earlier versions. It’s still a beta, but a very stable one at that.