Is there a roguelike

Read the last bit of the post peacedog, I was thinking of something else entirely and apologized for the earlier analysis. Hell even the RL I mentioned is turn-based ;)

Real-time combat animation is so profoundly different from roguelike combat that even if the levels were laid out on a perfectly horizontal 3x3 room grid and the game goal was to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor from a single dungeon, no such game would be a roguelike.

That being said, plenty of action games have deliberately incorporated abstracted roguelike elements, most notably the dungeon dive concept, but IMO Diablo is a roguelike the same way that a PC is an abacuslike.

what does animation have to do with it? How would a prefix-based item system or a straightforward D2-style skill tree make a game “not a roguelike”?

OP said he’s looking for a turn based game.

Sounds like you’re assuming that a roguelike needs to be fantasy. Dungeon? Amulet of Yendor?

Er, that was what the game of rogue was about.

But no, I couldn’t care less about the theme. For a roguelike, with a few exceptions like ADOM, that’s often a pretty thin veneer, much like the theme of a German boardgame is sometimes more a choice of box art than anything to do with the gameplay.

For the Din’s Curse questions: I think we are going to miss the end of the month, but it will probably only be by days. We are very close. :) The day that we start beta, we will start up our pre-order program and if you want to you will be able to download and play the beta. I believe (this could change) the pre-order will be $19.99, but it will sell for higher when we go gold.

Oh, and yes cave-ins are cool. :) My opinion is biased of course.

Thanks for the update. I can’t wait. I ended up buying Depths of Peril after perusing your site and before I knew it it was almost 4am. Great stuff!

I guess we need a Soldak thread. We seem to have co-opted this one. :)

Depths of Peril is super in its unique gameplay elements. Love that game.

Cool, thanks for buying DoP!

If anyone does start a Soldak thread, yell at me so I can join in.

I’ll willing donate this thread…so…when is Din’s Curse gonna be ready? ;)

Sorry I really didn’t mean to take over your thread.

We should be going into beta and accepting pre-orders within the next few days.

Ok Steven, because you wanted an actual Din’s Curse/Soldak thread:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?p=2075153#post2075153

Some of you may have seen this post on other forums - I’ve been posting it to generate interest. Feel free to talk about Depths of Peril and Kivi’s Underworld in that thread - they are great games and fun to discuss!