Is there a way to make overlays in Google Maps with bus routes and rental listings?

A friend of mine and her son live in an apartment building that was recently bought; the new owners are giving all the tenants a short time to vacate the building. We’re trying to help them find a new place to live. She has to live close to the bus lines in our city and wants to know what places are available.

Is there a way to combine info in Google Maps or another map program from different sources like the local bus routes (metrotransit.org) and available rental property aggregator (apartments.com)?

Google Maps has a transit layer that displays bus / rail stops when selected. You can also search for a specific bus line and it will show the route as a path on the map.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure there’s a simple way to pull apartment data to add to the map. Hopefully the bus stops will give you a starting point, though.

Did a little more digging, and you can do a proximity search with the apartments.com search.

• Search for an apartment, click on map view, click on more.
  • Click on Commute
  • Enter a destination (e.g. work or school), select public transit, and select a Max commute time.
  • The map view will now only display listings near public transit lines that can reach your destination in time.
  • You can add multiple destinations and the search will only return listings that can access every destination.

Hope this is still in time to be useful. Good luck!

That’s actually pretty cool that you can do that.

I never found that feature while poking at apartments.com. Thanks, I’ll tell her right away!